Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I received my new hard drive, but when I installed it and…

Customer Question
Good morning. I received my...
Good morning. I received my new hard drive, but when I installed it and attempted to download Windows 7, it's not reading the cd. There's nothing wrong with the cd because I put it in my laptop and it read it right away. I'm getting a no boot device error. What can I do to help my desktop read the cd?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2016
Laptop technician: Richard, Laptop Specialist replied 2 years ago
Richard, Laptop Specialist

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please the make and model of the Laptop?

Thank you

It's not a laptop, it's a Dell Ispirion desktop

Thanks

You need to select the Disk as the Boot Media.

As the computer is starting, keep tapping F12 until the Boot Menu comes up.

Then choose the DVD drive and it will then load the disk.

Let me know how you go please.

How long will you be available? I'm not in front of it right now. But I will be in about two hours. Can I touch basis with you then?

I will be off in around 2 hours so it depends on when you do it, but send a message to me then and it will come directly to me.

But that is how you access the boot menu so you can choose the Disk as the startup

But any problems, let me know

I will definitely do that. Thank you and I'll keep you posted

Thanks

Hello
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

ok, tap F2 to get into the setup, then choose Boot Order and then set the DVD drive as the first boot device.

Save this, the computer will restart, then keep tapping any key so it loads from the disk.

Let me know the results please.

Ok on second
Nothing.....

thanks

nothing as in no reaction?

You could not get into the setup?

And is this a wireless keyboard?

No reaction. I came back to the same error message

is this a wireless keyboard?

ok thats the problem, you have to do this with a cabled Keyboard please

Ok hang on

thanks

I was able to change the order but when I saved the changes it went back to the error message

ok, now try using F12 please as its starting to select the Disk as the boot device

Nothing

And when you start the computer and keep tapping any key, it does not load from the disk at all?

You keep tapping a key as its starting correct?

I keep tapping the key

ok, can you remove the power to the computer, open the computer and check if the DVD drive is actually connected to the mainboard please

Is this correct?

If you set the DVD driver as first in the boot order then yes

You mean the motherboard?
I attached a picture when I sent the message about the boot order

No picture was received, but it just needs to be first in the list.

Yes, I mean the motherboard, the second sata port

its attached

Press F2 to go back into setup, then F9 to reset the settings.

Then save and then keep pressing F12 to get to the boot menu

Can you now get to it?

Hang on a second. ...

ok

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm still getting the error

Nothing, the motherboard is at issue.

There is no boot menu coming up, and it is ignoring the boot order. You have indicated the disk is fine, so it will be the motherboard at fault.

I am not sure what your issue was that required you to change the hard drive but it may well have been the motherboard and not the hard drive.

Well the initial issue was that I got an error (picture attached) and I was advised to buy another hard drive.

I see no picture attached, can you try to attach it again please

ok, based on the issue we have had to get it to simply load from the Disk, it points to the motherboard as being the issue, not the hard drive. It was right to first try the hard drive first, but with this in mind, I would organise to send the hard drive back and look at getting the motherboard replaced. BUT, if the warranty has expired, I would be careful about costs as in the long run it can be cheaper to just replace the computer depending on its age.

Ok thank you for your help and input

Your welcome

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you