Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

My toshiba laptop has an incorrect login name and is asking

Customer Question
for a password ***** I...
My toshiba laptop has an incorrect login name and is asking for a password ***** I do not know I can not login. How can I reset the laptop?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Laptop
1/12/2016
Laptop technician: Richard, Laptop Specialist replied 1 year ago
Richard, Laptop Specialist

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please Natalie, which version of windows you are using on the Laptop?

eg: Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, xp?

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Windows 8

Thanks

On the login screen, click on the incorrect name and tell me if you can then select the correct login.

As it appears another account was created.

Please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't change the on screen login, it just blinks for the password ***** be entered

What do you see when you click on the name, like in this picture?

http://images.techhive.com/images/article/2013/11/1205-select-user-100129045-orig.jpg

And have you ever signed onto this Laptop before?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have logged in before. I entered the initial info when I purchased it but my son changed the log in and he created an acct that he can't remember the password
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just want to reset the laptop if possible. It's brand new

ok, then you have two options here which I will list out. As this is security, there is no simple solution, but any of these two options will work, it will just depend on how comfortable you feel doing them.

1)Reinstall the computer. This means you reinstall windows but lose all your data on the computer. It is not ideal, but the easiest way to do this. For this option, on the log in screen, hold down the SHIFT button and with it held down, click the power icon and choose restart. Keep SHIFT held until it has restarted into a menu. Choose Troubleshoot, then Reset my PC. This returns the PC to new, so you can set it up again.

2) Take it to a computer store, have them take out the hard drive and copy out your data to another disk. Then the reinstall can be done and you wont lose your data. Programs you have to install again.

If its new, do the first option then

Let me know the results please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was able to get to the troubleshoot screen but it has my son login name and keeps asking for a password

You can bypass this, on the troubleshoot you choose Reset My PC, and it will do the reset.

Your not able to choose this?

Richard, Laptop Specialist