Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

The keyboard on my HP laptop will not work. I have plugged

Customer Question
The keyboard on my HP...
The keyboard on my HP laptop will not work for me. I have plugged in another keyboard through the usb port and that is how i am typing right now. is there something I can do?
the fn + F3 is not controlling it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
1/4/2016
Laptop technician: Viet - Laptop Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Viet - Laptop Tech
Viet - Laptop Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. When did this issue first occur?

Does your HP laptop have Windows XP, Vista, or 7 or 8 or 10?

Have you tried to do a system restore?

Does the keyboard work in Safe Mode or not (tapping key F8 while turning on the laptop)?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Can you also check at the back/bottom of your HP laptop for the model of it? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

It looks like you are not there. Let me provide some solutions you can try when you are available.

Solution #1:

1. Shut down the laptop.
  2. Disconnect all cables / devices from the laptop.
  3. Disconnect charger / power cord from the laptop.
  4. If possible, turn the laptop over and remove the battery at the back of the laptop for a few minutes, then reinstall it.
  5. Reconnect the power cord to the laptop.
  6. Turn on the laptop and check.

Thank you.

Solution #2:

- If that does not work, press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type rstrui then click OK

, then the System Restore window should open, then click on Next, and restore the computer to any date before this issue first occurred, and check.

Solution #3:

- Check if there is any stuck key on the keyboard.

Solution #4:

- If needed, press at the same time the two keys Windows and Ron the keyboard, then type control then click OK

, then the Control Panel window should open

, then open Ease of Access / Ease of Access Center,

, then open the item Make the keyboard easier to use

, then make sure all all the boxes are unchecked for the following items: Turn on Filter Keys , Turn on Sticky Keys , Turn on Mouse Keys and Turn on Toggle Keys.

, then click on Apply / OK at the bottom, and check.

; (Note: for Windows XP, you go to Control Panel -> Accessibility Options -> Keyboard tab.)

Thank you.

- If needed, go to Control Panel\Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center -> Make the keyboard easier to use -> Setup Filter Keys (located below "Turn on Filter Keys"), then then uncheck the box at the option Turn on Filter Keys when right SHIFT is pressed for 8 seconds, then click OK / OK, and check.

Solution #5:

- If needed, press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type devmgmt.msc then click OK

, then the Device Manager window should open

, then double-click on the option Keyboards in order to open / expand it

, then right-click on the laptop's keyboard item below it, and click on Uninstall, and confirm Yes (Note: Do not check the box to Delete the driver software.)

, then restart the laptop, and check.

Solution #6:

- If needed, please see more solutions at the HP websites below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03843122

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03738933

When you are available, please reply back at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Viet - Laptop Tech
Viet - Laptop Tech