Joe-S
Joe-S, Systems Specialist
Experience:  Systems Administrator at Fortune 50 Company
68269981

I have an aspire one with Windows 7 starter operating

Customer Question

I have an aspire one with Windows 7 starter operating system. Operating system was not operating correctly so I tried to go back to an earlier version and now I get the "install windows", on the screen. How do I correct this problem?
Ron Himrich
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today.

Is Windows 7 the operating system that came on your computer when you bought it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.

Since Windows 7 is what came on the computer, you can only install Windows 7 again with the original license key (unless you have a valid key for another version). Is that what you wish to do?

Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me what model your computer is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like there is a product key on the back of the laptop. Since I will have to go online to reinstall, what is the procedure? 1. Down load site
2. Cables to use
3. et6c
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aspire one D255-1268
Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.

These steps are fairly general to all Aspire Laptops. You should not need to download anything as the restore files are generally maintained on a hidden partition.

1. Restart the Acer Aspire One. Wait for the Acer logo to appear on the LCD screen.

2. Press the "Alt-F10" keys at the same time to bring up the recovery menu. Press "Enter."

3. Click "Next." Follow the prompts that appear on the screen to restore the operating system back to factory settings.

4. Set up the laptop as if it is new. You will then need to allow it to run all of the system updates that are missing. This could take several hours but the laptop should function just fine in the interim.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting the "windows did not close properly" window with the three chooses. I have tried normal, and safe with internet. I do not seem to get screen you indicated. Right now I am on the "safe with internet", with screen showing "Setup is starting services", which has been running for a hour. Tried the normal with no success.
Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.

The screen I'm directing you to is not part of Windows. It's the system restoration screen that you access before Windows starts. Turn your laptop off, then when turning it back on you will see the ACER logo after a few seconds. This is when you press Alt-F10. You will want to hold down the Alt key early and then press the F10 key repeatedly until you get the system menu. If Windows begins to load then the key strokes did not work and you will want to try again by powering off the laptop.

Expert:  Joe-S replied 1 year ago.

I see you have not responded to my last message nor have you rated my service. Did you have other questions in this matter? This question will remain open until you accept my response and rate my service. I want to to ensure you are completely satisfied.