Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Trouble shoot, repair, hardware software.
63493917

I'VE FORGOTTEN THE SYSTEM PASSWORD ON MY SATELLITE S55

Customer Question

I'VE FORGOTTEN THE SYSTEM PASSWORD ***** MY SATELLITE S55 B-5280. CAN YOU TELL ME THE LOCATION OF THE RESET JUMPER PINS ON THE MOTHERBOARD, PLEASE ?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

In my experience, i have had the best luck when i remove the BIOS battery (usually a button battery) and then touching the battery terminals to each other, causing the remiang power in the capacitors to drain to ground.

This SHOULD erase the settings (including the password) and restore BIOS back to factory settings.

Ofcourse, you need to put the BIOS battery BACK in and then reboot, but it should have done the trick.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is an s55 laptop. Slimline. No obvious CMOS battery. What I am requesting is the Test point (p36) on the motherboard that is designated as the password ***** switch. Might be on the motherboard schematic, but I thought that was the information I was paying for you to supply to me ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me the location of the battery on the motherboard for this laptop ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ...

I am looking for a schematic of the system MOtherboard, to locate what you are referring to.

Depending on the type of security chip within your laptop (particularly the TPM chip) that enables the Supervisor Password (SVP) the ONLY way to clear it, is to replace the motherboard.

The SVP was designed so as NOT to be easily cracked. Simply opening the case, and moving some jumpers seems WAY TOO SIMPLE, and i DOUBT highly you will get the SVP to clear through jumper pin on the mobo.

I am sorry, but i am afraid if you dont have the SVP, you wont get in, no matter what. Unless you REPLACE THE MOTHERBOARD, which houses the TPM chip and by proxy, the SVP password.

I confirmed this with Toshiba, that they DO NOT PUBLISH the information on how to reset or remove the SVP password, for security reasons it is highly guarded, and ONLY a Toshiba repair specialist can do this. In some cases, the WHOLE mobo is replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, this is an unsatisfactory answer. I shall have to request a refund of my deposit.

i am sorry you feel that way.

i can initiate your request if you like?