Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

How do I open the CD tray on a Lenovo B50-45 model 20388

Customer Question

How do I open the CD tray on a Lenovo B50-45 model 20388 laptop
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. There's more than one way to do it but try it this way first. Click Start and open Computer. You'll see your CD/DVD icon. Right-click on it and select Eject

from the menu. The tray should pop open on the right hand side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no CD/DCD icon shown on the screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CD/DVD icon
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Then there's something else going on. Take a look at the attached picture. In it you can see the drive tray along the right hand side of the laptop. Notice the small button just right of the center of the tray. With the laptop powered on press the button in for 1 - 2 seconds and release. The try should then pop open.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no button on the CD/DVD door. Does this model even have a CD/DVD unit installed in it?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

If it's a Lenovo B50-45 it certainly does. Are you certain of the model number.

http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/lenovo/b-series/b50-45/#tab-tech_specs

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Click the X to close the window that pops up

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

On the drive try do you see the small rectangular section on the tray that I mentioned earlier? It's not a button in the conventional sense in that it sticks out from the rest of the tray. It's flush with the tray surface but if you push it with your finger it will move inward.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Lenovo B50-45 M/N 20388 S/N xxxxxxxxxx which came with CD's. The owners manual shows how to change the CD/DVD unit by removing one small screw on the bottom surface. I removed the screw and all that is installed is a blank off plate.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hold up. Are your trying to open the tray so you can put a disk in or are you trying to replace the entire drive?

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Here's the maintenance manual for the laptop. See page 34.

It looks like after the screw is removed you should be able to slide the drive out.

http://www.cclonline.com/content/pdfs/QGfLJ-2frNqqGljSHlTDesfA-3d-3d.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I said. The only thing located where the tray is supposed to be is a plain plastic tray which you can not install a CD disc on.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Now I get what's going on with that model. This was a budget model that didn't come with a CD/DVD drive.

http://computerelite.net/p2.php?&include=product&sku=14218#.VjmbtmuYFf4

Click the Specifications tab on the page and scroll down to the Storage section.

No optical drive.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help Byron, I got sold a bill of goods!!!
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry for that. Please take a moment before leaving to provide a rating using the stars at

the top of the page. It would be much appreciated.