Steve
Steve, Consultant
Experience:  Steve is a consultant in the areas of computer software and programming, information management and networking.
47680681

I have a Toshiba A215-S7407 Model PSAFGU-01V002. I have had

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba A215-S7407 Model PSAFGU-01V002. I have had the ram upgraded to to 4gb. My c drive shows 74 GB and the about only recognizes 2.5. I have added a 64 GB flash drive for boost. why does it only reccognive the 2.5. I am running windows 7 ultimate. The performance shows that I am using over 90% of my memory. Help !
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, my name is***** have one question and I'll explain about memory and disk drive space. My question is whether you are running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate. To find this out, click the Windows Start button and choose Control Panel. Then select System and Security and choose System. Under the System section on the screen, the fourth line says "System Type" and will say either 32-bit or 64-bit Operating System. I suspect you have a 32-bit operating system.

RAM

There is a difference between RAM and disk space. RAM is memory in your computer that is used to run programs and store information while a program runs. For example, if you launch Microsoft Excel, the Excel program loads into the RAM on your computer and the data you enter into the spreadsheet also uses your RAM. When you're finished with the spreadsheet, you have to save it to disk if you want to use it again because once you exit Excel, the RAM is wiped clean so the next program you run can use it. It sounds like you have 4 Gig of RAM.

Operating System Limits

If you're using a 32-bit operating system, the operating system can only "see" about 2.5 GB of your RAM and won't use any more than that. I know it sounds crazy, but that's the way it works. So putting 4 GB of memory into your computer when you're running a 32-bit operating system doesn't really do you any good. The solution is to use a 64-bit operating system, and there's a 64-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate you can use. Once you switch to the 64-bit version, the computer can see as much memory as you put in it, and it will use all of that memory when you run programs.

Disk Space

Disk space is the amount of storage you have to permanently store files on disk, like an Excel Spreadsheet you create. It has nothing to do with RAM -- it's totally separate. If your PC runs out of RAM, it might try to use some of the disk space so it doesn't crash, and you'll notice that it will start to run so slowly it appears like it's stuck and the disk light spins. It sounds like you have plenty of disk space. That's not a problem.

Summary

I hope this helps you. Bot***** *****ne, if you're running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate, you need to upgrade to the 64-bit version or you'll continue to have this problem. Please review this and chat me back with questions. If we're both online at the same time, I can explain it to you better or answer your questions.

One More Thought

It would be helpful to look at a screen print of the screen where you see that all your memory is being used, because that's somewhat unusual. You might have one or more viruses on your computer that are causing you to run out of memory.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steve,
I am running a 64 bit Operating system. when I check my programs file on c drive it shows both 32 and 64, which has beeen explained to me that some programs require the 32 to operate. I have used online forums On the system page it still shows 2.5 GB of operating ram with a 64 bit operating system. I found the memory usage using the performance tools. I have run C cleaner, anti maleware and defragged the system. I had alot of music stored on my pc and in the process of getting organized made duplicates on my hard drive. I have since started over using a Toshiba Canivo 1 TB portable drive and to the best of my knowledge have it dedicated for media storage. Still working on that one as there were duplicate files If I right click on c drive and check properties it shows I have 43.5 free of 74.6 total. I have very little on this laptop, a few word doc ect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
page print of Task manager
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jerry. Can you show me two more things:

1) A screen print of where it shows you have the 64-bit operating system?

2) A screen print of the task manager, but with the Processes tab open?