Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

I have Lenovo think pad w520 with windows 7. Today all of a

Customer Question
Hi I have Lenovo think...
Hi I have Lenovo think pad w520 with windows 7 . Today all of a sudden when I restart my machine it just hangs with a black screen and a blinking cursor
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
It never comes to the login prompt ever . Just after showing initial think pad logo black screen with blinking cursor remains forever . Pls help
10/28/2015
Laptop technician: Freddy M., Computer Support replied 2 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Support

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. If you need a part you are still required to pay. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Is this what you are seeing (about 30 seconds in): Click Here? (I did not make the video)

Just after powering on it shows think pad regular as usual but immediately then it goes to a never blank screen . It's urgent so whatever it takes is fine
I meant never ending black screen

Did you check the video I sent like I mentioned? I need to know if that is what you see or not at around 30 seconds in the video.

No It's not exactly that
Give me a min to check your video again

Ok, it would not be exactly the same since it is a different model computer. But around 30 seconds that part would be the same if you have the same issue.

There is in beep sound in my case and the cursor is always on the top left corner of the black screen

Ok then yes it is the same other than the beep. Which is a very bad sign. That means it can not find windows or the hard drive. How old is the computer? Did you happen to get an extended warranty?

I meant there is No beep sound

Yes that is what I said, there is no beep but the line is in the same place doing the same thing. Meaning you have the same issue. Not all machines will beep. Like I said before, it is a very bad sign, that means it can not find windows or the hard drive. How old is the computer? Did you happen to get an extended warranty?

It more than 3 yrs old .. Am more concerned on the files that I have on that machine which are very important . Only if I can save those data I am even fine with buying a new laptop

If the hard drive has died everything on it could be lost. But you can remove it from the computer and put it into an external enclosure or a dock like this one: Click Here

Most electronics or computer shops carry them. Then you would connect that with a USB cable to another computer, it will open like a flash drive.

If anything can be recovered you can get it this way, you can also bring it to a local technician and they will be able to do this for you.

Most smaller independent shops charge around $100 for this.

In order to find out if the drive has died you need to try and run a windows repair installation which you need a windows 7 disc for, if you do not have one you need a technician in order to do this.

If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Lenovo.

That video is not clickable . Can you please show that link again on how to remove hard drive and put it into an external enclosure?

It is not a video it is a link direct to the device. Here Is a full link in case it wont let you click again

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0VN-0003-000H5

Removing the drive is different on all brands and models of computers. But is usually done by removing some screws and a plastic plate on the bottom of the laptop. Then sliding it out.

Once I get the windows 7 cd should I then try to reboot machine by changing the boot option in bios ?

Yes exactly if you have a windows 7 disc, a recovery disc will not work.

Change the BIOS so that the boot order shows the disc drive as first or primary.

Then save and exit, when it says press any key to boot from cd press any key.

Then when it loads run the option that says repair. If the same thing happens after this the drive is the problem and not window.

Meaning your only option to recover the files would be the external enclosure or an external doc like the one I sent.

Freddy M.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Support