Gary Jensen
Gary Jensen,
Experience:  Functional Systems Administrator at Hill Air Force Base, OO-ALC/309SMXG
13452844

MY LAPTOP C55A GETS POWER AND CAP LOCK WORKS. CAN'T RUN MY

Customer Question

MY LAPTOP C55A GETS POWER AND CAP LOCK WORKS. CAN'T RUN MY RECOVERY DISC SINCE MY DVD WON'T RUN. WHAt can i do?
Category: Laptop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NONE OF THE FUCTION KEYS WORK. THE PC GOES UP TO ASKING FOR A PASSWORD. I TRIED ALL I HAVE EVER USED TO NO AVAIL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MY PHONE# *****(###) ###-####
Expert:  Gary Jensen replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you today. Can you please let me know the make and model of your computer ( like Lenovo G580 laptop, Dell GX270 pc, etc.)

When you state the DVD won't run, do you mean the DVD is broken, or just that it doesn't boot from the DVD on computer startup?

I would like to check your BIOS settings. Are you comfortable with getting in the BIOS? If you are, great! Look at the Boot section and see the devices that the computer is allowed to boot from, and the order. Make sure the DVD is one of the devices, and that it is higher in the boot order than the hard drive.

If you are not comfortable with this, let me know the information about the computer, and I can give you further instructions.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE A TOSHIBA C55A . THE DVD WON'T DO ANYTHING WHEN I PUT THE DISC IN. I CAN'T GET TO ANY THING ON STARTUP BUT TOSHIBA INNOVATION AND ASKS FOR PASSWORD. I'VE TRIED ALL I HAVE USED AND THEY DON'T WORK.I DON'T HAVE IT PLUGGED UP.

OK, do you know how to get into the BIOS on startup?

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I THOUGHT YOU USED THE FUNCTION KEYS. NONE OF THEM WORK.

I want to make sure this is the case. When you say they don't work, are they physically broken, or have you been pressing them without success on boot-up. I am checking to see how you get into the BIOS on this particular computer.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ONLY PRESS THEM,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ONLY PRESS THE KEYS AND NONE ARE BROKEN. SINCE I CAn't get on the c55a, how can you?

Here are the instructions of how to enter the BIOS. The Toshiba support page is:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/General-Troubleshooting/Toshiba-Satellite-C55-A5310-Bios-Settings-Key-Combo/td-p/518767

Here is the excerpt:

"To access the BIOS or Boot Order screens on your new Windows 8 machine, Shutdown while pressing the Shift key. Hold down the F2 key (BIOS) or the F12 key (Boot Order) while pressing the Power key."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'LL TRY BUT NONE OF THE FUNCTION KEYS WORK. IF YOU CAN TELL ME HOW TO GET THE BIOS PASSWORD ***** MIGHT WORK. IT ASKS FORA PASSWORD ***** I SEE ON LINE THAT TOSHIBA techs can get the bios

I see, so the key here is resetting the BIOS password. Sorry about that. Let me look into that. Give me a few minutes:

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'll try but none of tje function keys work, IT ASKS FOR APASSWORD ***** I DON'T HAVE A BIOS PASSWORD. ON LIN E IT SAYS TOSHIBA TECH CAN SUPPLY IT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I SEE FROM ONE GARY TO ANOTHER ONE WE ARE NOT GETTING Any place. i trold you the function keys don't work and that it asks for a paSSWOR And mi aSSUME THAT'S A BIOS PASSWORD ***** I DON'T REMMEMBER FROM SETTING UP THE COMPUTWER.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GOOD BYE

I'm sorry, but I have been researching this. Here is a possible solution. Please be advised (as stated in the page) that you do this at your own risk.

http://findpassword.net/reset-toshiba-satellite-bios-password/

Is your laptop still under warranty with Toshiba?

Gary

Sometimes the hardest part is making sure that we both understand the problem correctly. This is why I have to ask you those questions to make sure I don't give you an answer that won't help. In order for me to do this, I will often restate your question as I understand it. That is all I have been trying to do. There is always a way to reset a BIOS password. Sometimes the manufacturer will tell you that you have to send it in, because not everyone is capable or comfortable with doing the reset procedure. It also is a revenue stream.

It is much easier to do this over the phone. Would you like a phone call?

Gary

I see that you requested a live phone call. Please accept the offer and I can give you a call. This will be much easier to communicate, rather than going back and forth with these chats. I would be happy to continue on via this tool. Please let me know what you prefer.

Thanks,

Gary

This is Gary from JustAnswer. Are you still needing assistance? Please let me know.

Thanks