Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Engineer with 7+ yrs. experience as a software troubleshooter, developer & hardware support.
22727371

I installed windows 10 now I can't log back in I guess

Customer Question

I installed windows 10 now I can't log back in I guess its black screen
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Are you able to move your mouse cursor around on the black screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. What is the make/model# ***** the PC/laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HP Pavillian 500-C60 its not a laptop its a desktop
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the computer information. I looked up the specs on the PC at HP. The computer is using AMD Radeon HD 8400

graphics. This is not compatible with Windows 10 without a driver update. AMD drivers are available for Windows 10 but we need to be able to see a screen in order to install them.

Please try this. Turn off the computer by holding down the power button until it turns off.

Turn it back on and as soon as you see the HP screen begin steadily tapping the F11 key

until the Boot Options menu appears.

Click Troubleshoot and let me know the available options you are presented with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't see the full anwser but I could on today's. Option are Continue (exit and continue to windows 10) Use a device ( use a USB drive, network connection or Windows recovery DVD Troubleshoot (refresh or reset your PC, or use advanced tools) Turn off your PC
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Click Troubleshoot

It load the HP Recovery Manager.

What version of Windows came with the PC?

Recovery will restore the version of Windows that was on it when it was new.

You'll have the option to save your files. If you don't already have them backed up

you'll need to have a USB flash drive handy to store the saved files.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I go to recovery manager it defaults to windows 10 instead of 8. I backed up my files and after that was done I couldn't do anything else.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Is this the Recovery Manager screen you're getting

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Or does it look like this:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It almost looks like the firt one but I only have two boxes the Ineed help immediately with no option and I'd like to take precautions with file back-up program nothing else below i'd like to take precautions
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Take a look at this: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03489643#notebookolder

Scroll down to the section called: Performing system recovery on desktop and AiO PCs 2013 and older (black background)

There's also a section for 2014 and newer in the article but I don't know which applies to your machine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only one that looks like it is Figure 20:OS and that says Windows 10 how do I get it to say widows8. If I were to buy a Windows 7 would I be able to install it and would it work
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

If you're not seeing a Windows 8 option it means the Windows 10 install overwrote it.

If you want to go back to Windows 7 that is certainly an option as it would work on your PC.

You can find Windows 7 for a decent price these days: http://tinyurl.com/pmvbw88