Viet - Laptop Tech
Viet - Laptop Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of laptop (and desktop) hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I 't know my password. It's a Windows 8 Asus Laptop

Customer Question

I don't know my password. It's a Windows 8 Asus Laptop
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Laptop Tech replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?

Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen? If yes, do you currently have access to that email address?

Is it okay to reset the Asus laptop fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand new with a password ***** want?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no name/username/email at login screen. OK to set it up fresh [as long as I do not lose data]

What's the model of your Asus laptop? Please check at the back/bottom of it.

So you do not have backup of your data, i.e., documents, photos, etc. on the Asus laptop?

Shut down the Asus laptop, then turn it back on, then what do you see?

Do you see windows 8 loading?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
MB Ver X55C, I have a partial backup; Dark screen, blue dialog box "Enter Password"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still there ?

I'm sorry. Yes, please wait a few minutes as I'm checking on your laptop model. Thank you.

Thank you. That is the BIOS password. You can try disassembling the laptop, then remove the CMOS / BIOS battery for about half an hour and see if it clears the BIOS password. Here are the video instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRjcZQ59SSY

It may not work since nowadays computer manufactures set up high security on their laptops, so removing the CMOS / BIOS battery may not work for many laptop models. In this case, you would have to send the laptop to the manufacturer:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/

; there, scroll down for Asus contact information.

- If you just need your data / files, you can take out the hard drive from the laptop, then insert it to an external USB hard drive enclosure / adapter, then connect it to another working computer, then you can take out your data.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll attempt to do as you suggest - will take a few minutes

OK, please take your time. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wasn"t able to remove the keyboard - do I have to do that in order to remove the hard drive
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have to take a 60 minute break

No problem; please take your time. Thank you.