Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

The screen Lenovo Envy laptop I have has been intermitently

Customer Question
Hello, The screen for a Lenovo...
The screen for a Lenovo Envy laptop I have has been intermitently not turning on after waking up the laptop from Hibernate/sleep mode. When the laptop is opened, the keyboard lights turn on and the key for turning on/off the keyboard backlight works, but the screen remains black / turned off.
Sometimes closing and openning the laptop solves the issue but mostly the resolution is to hold the power button and turn the laptop off and on again which works every time.
What may be the issue and what is away to resolve it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
10/6/2015
Laptop technician: Richard, Laptop Specialist replied 2 years ago
Richard, Laptop Specialist

Hi there and welcome

Is it functioning now? And which version of windows is it running?

Thank you

When the laptop is restarted, the screen comes on and the laptop works fine.
It has Windows 10 on it.

Thanks

This is generally a sign of hard disk corruption, so I want you to first do the following please.

Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then check if you still have the problem.

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please.

That is done.After restarting, two tests were done:- computer was closed and re-opened, the screen did 'not' turn on, and the laptop went to hiberate after pressing random keys. pressing the flashing power button turned on the computer as expected.
- the lid was closed and re-opened, the laptop turned on as expected.

ok, so to be clear, it is all functioning well correct? From your statement I am not sure sorry so just need to know.

Can't say so as the first time it was closed and then opened the screen did 'not' turn on. Doing more tests ...

ok thank you, ***** ***** know please

It just happened again:The laptop was open and on, was closed for a test (noticed the power LED remained on while it was closed), was opened again and the screen did not come on.

Can you give me the full model of the Lenovo please?

And the version of windows its running

Thank you

Version of Windows is 10.0.10240
Laptop is HP Envy x360 TouchsmartFYI I reinstalled a windows and upgraded to Win 10. It seems like that has fixed the issue. Will let you know if it happens again. At this point I'd say this issue is closed.
Richard, Laptop Specialist