Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

I have a gateway laptop that is 10 years old and it is still

Customer Question
working good however I am...
I have a gateway laptop that is 10 years old and it is still working good however I am afraid of it going dead some day because it runs slow and its hard to turn on and off.
I am thinking about buying an apple laptop. Is it hard to operate compare to my gateway windows vista laptop?
I need something that will last me a long time as well. I have a HP printer that I just bought so it needs to be compatible to it. I do have an Ipad 3 and I love it. Does apple have a built in virus software and what about word can I use that on an apple or does aple have their own? Can someone help me with this decision?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
9/30/2015
Laptop technician: John, Laptop Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
John, Laptop Support Specialist

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I will try my best to help you

Sir/Ma'am could you please let me know the model of the HP printer ? so that i can check if its compatible with apple (mac) laptop.

Apple user interface and windows user interface are different,but you already have an idea by using ipad3 so it wont be difficult for you to get used to it.

Microsoft have mac version of Microsoft office which you can buy using this link https://products.office.com/en-us/buy/compare-microsoft-office-products?tab=omac

Mac laptops are more secure compared to windows but i suggest you install a security program like Mcafee or Kaspersky to make sure your PC is safe from ransomeware and viruses

Sincerely,

Note: - Please keep this conversation/Chat page opened to view my replies quickly. You will also get an email notification in your email each time I reply. To reply back to me use the reply box below.

HP Envy 7645 all in one

Thank you.One moment let me see if its compatible with mac PC's

Sincerely,

ok

I had just checked and found out that Envy 7645 all in one is compatible with Mac laptop but you have to make sure you are buying Mac OS X 10.9 or 10.10 or 10.11 otherwise their will issues with drivers you can find the details in this link http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-7640-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/6617267/model/6779508#Z7_3054ICK0KGTE30AQO5O3KA30R1

Here is another link for manuals for Apple laptop/devices https://support.apple.com/manuals

I forgot to mention there is a free version of word like program called open which you can check it on this link http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/

I hope that answers all your questions.If you have any further questions please let me know.

Sincerely,

John Can you find me a good Apple 15 inch that would be compatible and have lots of memory as I need it to last a long time. Is an apple laptop easy to use like the one I have now? Also does it have a anti virus software built in it or do I need one and if so what should I get?

I will check for the laptop now.

To answer your other questions easiness to between windows vista and Mac os.It will take some time to get used to Mac OS X but you already have a ipad3 which has similar user interface of the Mac laptops.For example cut,copy&paste options are different in Mac systems

the keyboard is slightly different too with a command key.You can find beginners guide in this link http://www.macforbeginners.com/articles/

Installing a antivirus is always a good idea because there are lot of malwares/ransomewares are there now also Mac OS x is getting popular so the chances of getting virus/malware attacks are also getting higher,but still its much safer than windows but again installing a anti-virus is recommended.I suggest you get either McAfee or Kaspersky

here are the links for it http://www.mcafee.com/us/products/virusscan-for-mac.aspx

http://usa.kaspersky.com/products-services/home-computer-security/mac-security/

Sincerely,

are there any other anti virus software I have used both of these and they don't work

15" apple laptop's are quite expensive and storage space is quite low but you can upgrade the storage up to 1TB but that will cost more so i suggest you purchase a portable external hard drive which is compatible with apple laptops and use that to store your personal files like pictures,video's etc.In that way it wont cost as much as upgrading the hard drive space on apple laptop.here is the details of 15" Macbook Pro https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

Its display/graphics quality are higher than windows PC's

Could you please tell me what happened when you used Mcafee or Kaspersky before because both of the anti-virus are good anti-viruses.

Sincerely,

If you do not prefer McAfee or Kaspersky then the other suggestions are ClamXav which is free https://www.clamxav.com/download.html

The other one is Bitdefender http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/antivirus-for-mac.html

Mac OS X doesn't need a powerful anti-virus like windows system so i suggest you run the ClamXav free version.

Sincerely,

Here are 2 other versions of Mac laptops from bestbuy which is lower in price compared to the first one i gave http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-macbook-pro-15-4-display-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-256gb-flash-storage-silver/8532502.p?id=1219343246944&skuId=8532502

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-macbook-pro-15-4-display-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-512gb-flash-storage-silver/8532548.p?id=1219343246943&skuId=8532548

Both have good specification but not enough storage space.The second one had twice the capacity of first one.

Is there anything else you like to know?

Sincerely,

Sorry for the delay I had to leave my computer for a while. Can you tell me if I don't get an apple laptop what would be a next better one that will last a while? I like the 15 inch I am using windows vista I do like it.

No problem.could you please let me know your budget.

Now a days quality of the electronic products are low compared to the ones you purchased 10 years ago i believe you already know that,so i suggest you take extended warranty if available.Usually including initial warranty of 1 year and extended warranty of 2 years so total 3 years.In that way even if there is some kind of hardware issue it can be fixed without any cost for the first 3 years.I am not saying it will last only 3 years but for the first 3 years you will be safe also lasting of a product depends on how you use it like if you leave the laptop turned on for a long time without using it,keeping the laptop on a flat surface so that the hot air from the vents flow properly etc these factors really affect the life of the Laptop.I am sure that you use the laptop much carefully other ways the Gateway laptop you have now wont last 10 years.

Sincerely,

John,

I am sorry I am just getting back to you but it wouldn't let me respond to your message from my email account.

I had to go directly to the just answer website and sign in and answer you.

I bought a new laptop last night online and it wasn't an apple.

HP ENVY 15t Quad Core i7-4722HQ / 16GB / 4GB Graphics / Full HD 1080p /2TB

I think this one will work ok.

What do you think?

Good to hear from you.You cannot reply to me directly from your email.You can only reply to me using this justanswer page but each time i reply you will get a email notification that i replied and a link to view my reply.I apologize for the inconveniences.

HP 15T with i7 process has good spec's with finger print reader on it,Good choice.Like i mentioned before If possible please take extended warranty which will be a good choice.

Do not let the air vents blocking by keeping it on bed or non flat surfaces in that way air circulation will be better.Is there anything else you like to know if so please let me know.

If you do not have any further questions please rate positively using the options just below this reply box or above this page,select the star rating and click on submit. Have a Great God blessed Day. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Sincerely,

Hi john....in order to answer you I have to pull up another web page type in just answer to speak to you because my laptop and iPad when I try to click on the button after you have sent me a message well it only pulls up a page that says charter on it. However I have charter for my internet. But this is the only thing it does it on. And it just started this morning doing that. Do you know why?

Hello again,I apologize for the delay in replying back to you.

That is strange usually the view reply option in the email sent by justanswer automatically opens either your questions page which has this question or it directly takes to this chat page.I am not sure why its behaving like that if its only happening with justanswer emails then it must be an issue in our side i will report it to the admins.

Sincerely,

Sir/Ma'am did you check my above reply and is there anything else you like to know?
If you do not have any further questions please rate positively using the options just below this reply box or above this page select the rating and click on submit. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Sincerely,

John, Laptop Support Specialist