Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

My gateway nv57 keyboard was not working so I turned it off

Customer Question
Hi so my gateway nv57...
Hi so my gateway nv57 keyboard was not working so I turned it off but then it starts typing by itself when I touch one key. I turned it off again but it started beeping continuously before it turns on but then nothing works
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
My gateway nv57 keyboard was not working but let say u press e types 37 or continues typing 37 without touching it. After restarting a couple of types it started having a continuous beeping sound when turning on then it stops and turn on but after that the keyboard does not work
9/24/2015
Laptop technician: Wes, Consultant replied 2 years ago
Wes
Wes, Consultant

Hi there, that sounds like a frustrating situation. From the sounds of it, you have a stuck key on the keyboard. Try running your fingers along every key and make sure they are all released.

All keys are not stuck

Are the 3 and 7 stuck?

Nope
U can click on them fine but they don't type

You mean they aren't visibly stuck down. The beeping you're hearing when you start the computer is a warning that there are keys stuck on the keyboard. After that warning it disables the keyboard. If you get it up into windows, NONE of the keys work am I right?

They work but b type 2 or e type 37
Or b continue type///// even after I stop touching it

okay, let's see... are you using that computer to communicate with me?

No

okay turn that computer off again and tell me if it beeps again when you turn it back on.

There is continously beeping and clicking sound 8 types

okay, the keyboard has experienced some sort of failure... that means the keyboard will have to be replaced. Replacement keyboards run about $20+shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5RV1XW5298

It doesn't look like too horrendous of a job to replace it if you wanted to try it yourself. Might take an hour. There's a video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QjjVQNUm1E

Now my computing is saying preparing automatic repair and it just keeps beeping

If you turn the computer off without shutting down, it may go into automatic repair or if the keyboard is sending erratic and random keystrokes, it may have triggered the auto repair. The beeping is probably a result of the keyboard having failed.

Do you have reason to believe there might be something else wrong with it that I'm not mentioning or noticing?

I'm trying to see if reseting will work now
It asking me to reset and it stopped the beeping sound the screen was blue but I was able to use it

Did the keyboard work normally?

Nope only the mouse

Well doing the reset may wipe your data (it should warn you about that)... I don't think that's going to fix the keyboard because the reset function operates independent of windows, so if it were a Windows problem, it would stop anytime windows wasn't up and running.

this has nothing to do with the motherboard just the keyboard
I just need to replace the keyboard

I have no reason to suspect the motherboard at this point. There is the possibility that if it continued doing it after the keyboard was replaced that it could be a motherboard issue... however I consider that to be a remote possibility. Unfortunately there's no good way to figure that out without replacing the keyboard.

You might be able to start it up with the keyboard disconnected... but I'm not entirely sure if that won't also throw an error code or beep

Oh ok

Did you need more information about this or does that answer your question?

Wes
Wes
Wes, Consultant