Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

My Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV660 has an intermittent display

Customer Question

My Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV660 has an intermittent display problem during reboot, regardless of whether I last used Shut Down, Stand By, or Hibernate. The screen remains blank, although I get indications of HDD activity and/or optical drive activity if a DVD is loaded. Occasionally I can get it to recover by cold booting with a DVD loaded, using the "Movie" key to boot, waiting for the DVD Menu to load, pressing F10, then rebooting without the DVD. Sometimes this works, sometimes the screen remains dark, but if I leave it sit long enough I will come back to an "ERR:TOS0001" message on the screen, after which I can reboot to a working screen. This happened occasionally before and after recent hardware upgrades which included RAM expansion to 8 GB, replacing both HDDs with Micron 500GB SSDs in RAID mirror mode and a CPU upgrade. I've tried every F key during boot, singly and in combination. OS is Win XP Media Edition SP3. Any solutions?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome.

Can you remove the power cable and then hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then connect the power cable and tell me if it turns on correctly please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never received this response in my email:***@******.*** (searched for Sender in All Mail). I have tried this fix multiple times in the past, both with the battery installed and removed. Same problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I think you missed my initial message. No problem, I will repeat

Then connect the power cable and tell me if it turns on correctly please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attempted this solution multiple times in the past, both with & without the battery installed. No change. The blank screen remains, although it is working today. Unfortunately, this is not a frequent problem, but when it occurs it may take hours or days to recover.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

It appears then either the Video Adapter or the screen is faulting as you indicate you hear everything else working.

When it fails to display on the screen, can you connect an external monitor and tell me if it displays the screen then please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have no way of knowing if it is the video until it fails again. That could be days or months. Then I'll see if I can find a compatible external monitor.