Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

I have a Toshiba Satellite P755 laptop computer. I have

Customer Question
several keys on the keyboard...
I have a Toshiba Satellite P755 laptop computer. I have several keys on the keyboard which need to be pressed more than one time in order to register any input at all. Some keys type normally and others have to be pressed 2 or 3 times before registering
at all. I have changed the keyboard with a new one and also I clean reinstalled the windows 7 ultimate operating system and i am still having exactly the same problem. Please advise the fix for this problem. Please only reply if you have a good idea of what
is causing this issue. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
Regarding some keys on the my keyboard not working. I have also completed the built in Toshiba recovery wizard to restore the computer to factory defaults (keeping user data) and the keyboard is still having the same issue.
Small correction, my computer is a Toshiba satellite P775 laptop
8/27/2015
Laptop technician: Freddy M., Computer Support replied 2 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Support

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Is this happening with both the built in keyboard and external usb keyboards?

i will attach an external keyboard, test and reply to you, thanks

Ok let me know the results when you can.

external usb connected keyboard works perfectly - onboard keyboard most all keys will work only after they are repeatedly and firmly pressed. same exact result with a brand new keyboard
i used the onboard reinstall my system with save my data option and the keyboard is doing exactly the same thing. i did a clean install and upgraded from windows home premium to window ultimate, same keyboard results.

Have you tried installing the driver from here?

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=3025635

Click drivers & updates, then on the left click on keyboard it will show all keyboard related downloads after that on the right.

pretty sure i tried that, will retry it again now

Ok well another option would be forcing it to reinstall.

To do that click on start and type device manager into the search.

Expand the keyboards section and right click on your keyboard.

Click on uninstall it the right click menu, then restart the computer.

It will automatically reinstall itself when restarted.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.

completed the uninstall and reinstall and restart, no changecompleted an driver update, message says windows has determined that you already have the latest driver installed

I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.

ok
Laptop technician: flopcat98, Consultant replied 2 years ago
flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant

The keyboard is physically broken. the keys themselves are not making good contact when you press them. You might be able to get it working by using compressed air or physically popping off the keys and cleaning underneath each one. But its a real pain and may not work.

replacement keyboards are widely available and cost about $20

here is one of them but as there are several p775 models make sure that you get the right one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/350926515591?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

You can watch this video and see if you want to replace it yourself. Its about 3 screws and 2 cables but you have to remove the battery and hard drive and pry it out a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX1O9sKl444

a repair shop would probably charge about 50 bucks including the keyboard itself

i have already replaced the old keyboard with a brand new oem keyboard. exact same results as the old keyboard in terms of having to press the keys over and over

honestly i cant think of anything that would do that software wise. If the driver is bad it would not put up the keys at all or put up the wrong letters. It is a hardware problem somewhere.

what is your next instruction regarding testing, repairing my issue

There really wouldn't be much else I can suggest. It could be the cable or the connection or the mother board. There isn't anything else.

I would say take it to a repair shop. Not so much because they can do it better than you but because they would have to guarantee they fix it and have spare parts they can swap in and out till they find the bad one

There is only one other thing that i can think of. Its possible that another program running in the background is conflicting with it. Though i would think it should affect the external keyboard as well.

can you start the computer in safe mode and see if the keyboard has the same issue ?

Already tried that no change no difference
Any other thoughts

No I am sorry to me that just confirms that it is a hardware issue. It might be the motherboard but I wouldn't even rule out that the new keyboard has the same defect. It might be reconditioned and it could be a common problem with the design. That's why I say give it to a repair shop where they can test it in another computer

Have you looked for bios updates for the computer. It doesn't seem likely that they would have or need one that affects something as simple as the keyboard but stranger things have happened

flopcat98
flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant