Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

I have an hp laptop. It fell off the couch the other day. It

Customer Question

Hi, I have an hp laptop. It fell off the couch the other day. It was closed, but hit the back part, where the battery is located... Not the bottom, just mainly where the battery goes in... It starts fine, but when it gets to my desktop screen, it starts
going in and out of a green screen... Like it flashes green, and then shows my desktop icons, and flashes green again... It won't stay on the desktop screen long enough for me to double click on anything, and if I do it still flashes green... Is there anything
I can check at home??? Thanks...
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. I am sorry you have encountered this kind of problem. It sounds like you may have a loose connection to screen. It's possible the video cable may have came loose. Or The screen damaged. When you move the lid open and shut does the screen react at all?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It seems to flash the desktop more quickly when I move the screen, but not much of a difference there... Is there any way I can check this another way???
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's weird bc the lock screen and startup screens are normal... They don't blink or anything, it's just when I get to the desktop...

Sadly the only other way would be to disassemble the lcd assembly to disconnect and reconnect the video cable of course if that fails to fix the problem you would be looking at a replacement screen. When you move the lid does the screen flicker at all when it's at the lock screen?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not at all... It works perfectly at thy point...

It's not at full resolution when its at that screen until it boots as well. ok can you shut the machine down, remove the battery run only on external power and tell me if it does the same thing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean by just an external power??? Like just with the power cord??? 😳

That is correct

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately it is still blinking green... :/

I am concerned this is a led screen problem, Since I don't have the model number of your machine at this time. Also given the characteristics it seems when it goes to a higher resolution is when it starts to do this. You may be looking at a replacement screen. It's either that or your graphics card was damaged during impact it would have to be one or the other. This is sadly a hardware malfunction. I would highly advise taking it in to have it checked out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you know how much a new graphics card or screen replacement would be??? Also, can I check for either of those at home???

If it's a laptop the graphics card is built into the motherboard usually the entire board gets replaced. You can usually find a replacement on ebay. You would need to include the model number and type motherboard or screen or led screen to locate a suitable replacement but if you don't know how to take one of these machines apart a local computer repair store would be able to tell in person which part would be causing the malfunction.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you so much for your help. Hopefully I'll be able to get it situated soon!!!

Your welcome I am just sorry this happened to you. Let me know if you have any further questions.