Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

My lenovo screen has went black...I have tried all the

Customer Question
things you recoomned and nothing...
My lenovo screen has went black...I have tried all the things you recoomned and nothing
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
8/9/2015
Laptop technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
What do the indicator lights seem to indicate?
- Is the Power light On?
- Is the disk activity light (if there is one) ever one, even briefly, e.g. when you first turn the computer On?
- If those lights are On, does your Lenovo model have an external monitor port? if so, hook up an external monitor or flat-screen display to it, with a cable, and see if that produces a display on the monitor. (If it is a Desktop -type PC, then swap out the monitor/screen, and see if that makes it work.)
1: if the Power light is not On, there is a problem with power to the PC. Address the power problem.
2: if the disk activity light comes on, then freezes and goes off and doesn't come on again, shortly after powering On, then you may have a problem with the Windows files on the hard disk or SSD inside the Lenovo PC, and what to do depends upon what shows on the screen when the Lenovo PC is first turned On, and in the first 20 seconds after.
3: If there is some other problem too, let me know. And let me know how told the Lenovo is, and whether it has suffered power failures, being dropped or otherwise shocked, etc.
I have done all this.I believe that this has happened due to a driver issue. but nothing ever comes on the screen...even at boot-up.When i added the external monitor it works and acts as the main display. If you try to extend or detect other monitor it trys and can't find other monitor.The touch screen still works becasue when you use the external display you can push on the screen and select items..look through google and you will see.Lenovo X1 Carnon 3400 series.

I understand. The external display works, therefore the video card in the laptop is OK. The laptop boots up, therefore it works OK (I presume - you haven't mentioned any other problems than with the screen.)

So I have to conclude you have a hardware problem with the built-in screen on your Lenovo laptop. (You could try reinstalling drivers, in Device Manager, for the 'Screen' or 'Monitor' as opposed to for the 'Video card' or 'Video adapter' which is obviously A-OK, but if nothing shows as defective or having a problem or as Disabled in Device Manager, that probably wouldn't help much.) I suspect a 'shut off the screen when it is closed' switch has jammed shut, and thus tells the laptop to leave the screen dark and blank. That can be checked for: go into your Power Options settings, and set the 'shut off screen when closed' to Disabled, and see if that helps... it might override the switch's false indication, and leave the screen on even when the screen is folded down onto the keyboard, but would allow the screen to be used and seen.

If that changes nothing about the problem, then it is likely that your screen is 'broken' in some way... shine a flashlight into it, and see if anything is even faintly visible in it that way, if so, then the backlight is defective. If nothing even with a flashlight, then the cable to the screen may have slipped loose... but these days, it is more likely that something in that cable or in the screen assembly, is quite simply 'broken'.

How old is the Lenovo laptop? if within a year of purchase date, it might still be under warranty.

And of course, if the laptop has ever been dropped or gotten wet or even very damp, that might have damaged the screen function. Let me know, and I will advise you further.

Russell H., Computer Support Specialist