Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

I have a 2009ish HP DV7 that was giving me a hard disk read

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 2009ish HP...
I have a 2009ish HP DV7 that was giving me a hard disk read error. My initial troubleshooting step was to replace the hard drive; however, when I put the new hard drive in and hit the power this computer hits a halt somewhere at the UEFI/BIOS handing it off to the hard drive.
I suspect this is the moment of the halt because if I hit ESC before the splash screen I am able to access Setup options. Unfortunately, with the hard disk installed it still halts here.
I only see the HP splash screen, and it does not proceed to say "No operating system installed"
This only occurs when the HDD is plugged in to the computer. When the hard disk is not plugged in I am able to freely access the UEFI/BIOS settings, and adjust/save any options in the UEFI/BIOS.
Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
8/9/2015
Laptop technician: Russell H., Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What was the original hard drive, and what is the replacement?
In terms of maker and model #, for each one.

There may be a compatibility issue that requires a BIOS setting be changed, perhaps.

Or you may have a defective replacement hard drive... or a defective computer in the drive controller part. Roughly in that order.

A strongly indicative thing, would be if you put the former hard drive in another computer, and it worked fine. That would indicate the hard drive not the problem, but the controller part of the main board in the computer. (Unless, of course, the BIOS settings were wrong for the old disk, as well as the new disk. To cover that possibility, I must ask:
What are the settings in the BIOS Setup, for the hard disk? (as well as the maker and model #s of the old and the new hard disk.)
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist