IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

P505 s8000. Occasionally the laptop goes into a repair

Customer Question

P505 s8000. Occasionally the laptop goes into a repair process to correct the startup error. What is going on? The repairs were succssful both times.
Jim XXXX
Category: Laptop
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Please tell me which Windows version is installed on your laptop.
Example:
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8 / 8.1
- Windows 10
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WINDOWS 7
Thanks *****
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Jim!
There could be problems with the boot files needed to properly load Windows 7, so Windows attempts to fix them.
However, if you keep seeing the same repair window, that means Windows 7 failed to fix the problem automatically, so I suggest manually accessing the repair options in order to solve the problem.
Here is what to do:
First, restart your computer and then keep pressing the F8 key rapidly until you see the "Advanced Boot Options" menu which looks like this:
graphic
PICTURE
Once you see that menu, select the "Repair Your Computer" option and press Enter. Wait for a while and follow the on-screen instructions. You should get to the window that has several repair options, including Startup Repair, as shown on this image:
graphic
PICTURE
So, click on "Startup Repair" which should fix all found startup problems. That is the window you kept seeing. Let it finish this time without pressing anything. Once done, your computer will restart.
After that, when you enter Windows, I suggest scheduling a disk check. Here are the instructions:
1. Double-click the Computer icon to see all your drives (C:, D:, etc)
2. Locate your first disk (C:), right-click it and select Properties
3. Click on the Tools tab and under Error-checking section, click the Check now... button
4. There check both check-boxes and click Start
6. Repeat the procedure for other drives, for example D:, E: etc (if you have several disk drives)
7. After that, restart your computer and the selected drives will be checked for errors prior starting Windows again. Just don't press anything and leave the process to finish. It could take up to 20 minutes.
When it is done, it will start Windows. Check if this made the repair window go away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not use your solution. I fixed the problem by downloading updates from Microsoft. Do I get a refund?
Jim XXXX
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!
I will transfer your request to the JustAnswer customer service.
Regards,