Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  15 Years saving Laptops from the recyling bin! Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My computer all of a sudden when blank when I hit a web page

Customer Question

My computer all of a sudden when blank when I hit a web page link, I turned off computer and when I try to startup, the screen colors are not right and after I enter my password ***** just get a blank screen
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
Lets try these steps in order..
Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on your Mac.
Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.
Now, when your mac tries to start again, hold down the left shift key. You need to hold it down till you hear the startup chime and see the apple logo. Then you can release.
Does this let you boot into your mac desktop?
If so, try this repair next
Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.
On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .
And once it says permissions repair complete. Go into safari and clear your recent history and cache.
From the Safari menu, select Clear History and Website Data....
Select the desired time range, and then click Clear History.
Go to Safari > Quit Safari or press Command-Q to exit the browser completely.
After all steps are complete.. Restart your mac, will it boot normally now?
I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I followed your instructions and the logo came up, just like it does without following your steps. However, the logo is a green color and background is pale green, not normal colors. When I enter my password, it looks like it is opening, but it doesn't
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Understood. Do you know what version of mac osx is installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
how old is your mac, roughly speaking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just refund my $26 and I will take it to the apple store. Thanks, Art
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Thats your choice Art.. This is something we could have worked on and repaired together, though Im sure the apple store can help you as well. ( If they try to charge you any substantial amounts for repairs, you may want to contact me first so we can try and repair it manually)