aitizaz
aitizaz, Software Engineer
Experience:  Vast exp. of troubleshooting laptop issues
17531195

I have locked bios cf-19

Customer Question

i have locked bios cf-19
Category: Laptop
Expert:  aitizaz replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! I amCustomerand i will be happy to help you.
do you have BIOS password ***** your laptop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I do not know password. BIOS is password *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to remove password *****
Expert:  aitizaz replied 2 years ago.
OK! The first step would be to try removing the CMOS battery (the coin shaped battery inside the computer that keeps the clock working). You need to disconnect the laptop from any power source (AC adapter), and remove the main laptop battery. Third, you will have to remove the bottom plate of the Toughbook (you can watch a video to learn this on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1pxcZPI368).
Once you've removed the bottom plate, you should be able to see the internal components. Connected to the system board by two wires will be the CMOS battery (to find the exact location of the CMOS battery, refer to the manual of your laptop). After disconnecting the CMOS battery, hold down the power button on the laptop for about ten seconds, then let the computer sit for a few minutes to ensure that it is completely devoid of power. You will then need to reinstall the laptop battery (the main one that powers the whole laptop — not the CMOS) and boot up the laptop. If all goes according to plan, you should be able to access the BIOS. Now you can reassemble your Toughbook. Power off, remove the battery, reconnect the CMOS battery, and reattach the rear plate.
NOTE: Sometimes laptops have a special chip to store the BIOS password. In that case, this procedure might not work. Also, if you have never opened up your laptop before, please do not play with it as it might harm it or you. In that case, i will advise you to take the computer to nearest computer shop for removal of the password.
if you have any queries, please do not hesitate to ask me.
If that did not correct the BIOS password ***** the only other options are to attempt to locate the administrative passwords set by the systemboard manuracturer or to do a BIOS Flash. We seriously advise against a BIOS Flash, as if it is done incorrectly it can cause permanent (and fatal) damage to your system board.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done all the above. how do I locate password? So far you have not provided any new answers.
Expert:  aitizaz replied 2 years ago.
The process explained above should have REMOVED the password ***** your computer. If that has not happened and it is still asking for password,it means that the computer has a special chip for storing BIOS password ***** that needs to be replaced/manipulated to remove the password. You cant do it on your own,this can be done by the manufacturer only.