Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

Bought a UX305FA from microsoft store, wiping everything out

Customer Question

bought a UX305FA from microsoft store, wiping everything out and reinstall win 7 ultimate.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.
You mean there is no slot to insert the USB and connect to Wi-Fi (no wi-fi adapter)?
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is USB port and wi-fi adapter, it's a brand new laptop UX305FA from microsoft store, wiping everything out and reinstall win 7 ultimate, but the OS I installed does not have a driver for USB port and wifi adapter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I wipe out everything from the hard drive and install a fresh win 7 ultimate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a legit windows 7 ultimate product key can be use
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The model of the laptop is a UX305F
If it is brand new with windows already installed, then we can do a factory reset instead of wiping out everything? Also the question says you installed windows 7. Can you please clarify exactly what needs to be done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want wipe out everything and install a fresh copy of win 7 to the laptop
Restart the laptop and repeatedly Tap f9 key and tell me what do you get?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I get a windows boot manager with windows 7 as the only choice
Okay. Please restart laptop and enter BIOS. Once in BIOS, let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm in the BIOS
Now go to BOOT and set USB as the first boot device. Once done, save and exit, make sure usb s in, and let me know here where it takes you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's back to the bios
Check if USB is set as First BOOT?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have Fast Boot disabled, Launch CSM disabled.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the boot option# ***** it's the flash drive
Okay, was it set by itself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I think, I changed few thing in the bios. I was watching a youtube video on how to use a usb drive to install windows
I mean after i instructed above to change boot order, you did that and restarted, it went back to bios, then was it set there as default or did you reset it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I changed back the setting, and it boot up to windows 7 installation from the usb drive.
Good. Now from here, we can format C: and reinstall Windows. Please update me on each step so i can tell you what to choose.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I format C:?
This should come up as an option during the installation where it will show you the drive with options to format and install. You will see the C:\ drive list.
you need to use the custom install option, give me two minutes to list down all steps.
1. On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.2. On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.3. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.4. On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).5. Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.6. When you've finished formatting, click Next7. Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it stuck on step 1, see attached picture
What happens if you hit OK?
When Windows is asking for driver, just click Cancel. You will be brought back to the welcome screen. At the welcome screen, remove your USB drive, insert it back to DIFFERENT USB PORT. Click Install Now again. The installation process will be like usual.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it doesn't help, thank you. can you end this conversation. I need find someone I can call.
I will opt out and open the question to other experts who may be able to call. Thanks
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. I notice above that in the BIOS you mention Launch CSM is set to Disabled.
CSM (Compatibility Support Module) needs to be enabled.
I don't see any mention of Secure Boot above but that needs to be turned off/disabled as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Byron,The CSM is on, right now.
Let me take some screen shot for my bios. wait a second.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Sure. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's a zenbook, basically I like to complete wipe out the current HD and install a new win 7 via usb drive. Thanks!
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
On the BIOS Security screen, at the bottom where it says: Secure Boot Menu
Is Secure Boot turned off/disabled?
It's not expanded so I can't see what it's set to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The secure book control is disabled.
It saids:
Platform Model User
Secure Boot Disabled
Secure Boot Control [Disabled]
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Ok. That's as it should be.
Boot up from the USB stick again. Select Custom install.
Click Drive Options (advanced)
Select the partition where you want to install Windows and Delete it so that it shows as Unallocated space. If you don't care about going back to Windows 8, delete all the partitions so that the entire capacity of the drive shows as Unallocated and click Next.
There may also be another issue as the laptop has all USB 3.0 ports and Windows 7 doesn't come with USB 3.0 drivers. Take a look here:
http://www.resolvesolutions.co.uk/article/win7usb3install