Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

I have bought a Toshiba MK6026GAX - Hard drive - 60 GB - internal

Customer Question
- 2.5" - ATA-100 -...
I have bought a Toshiba MK6026GAX - Hard drive - 60 GB - internal - 2.5" - ATA-100 - 5400 - buffer: 16 MB. [ASIN: B00063XTK4] to fit in a Dell Inspiron 600M as a direct replacement for the original which is dead.
I cannot get the BIOS to recognize it. It did not come with an installation disk. I have an old Western Digital installation disk which saw that it was there but would not do anything about it. How can you help me?
Roger Gunn
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
6/18/2015
Laptop technician: Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast replied 2 years ago
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. Just to verify you bought a new hard drive to replace the old correct, I also see this is an older ide hard drive with pins not sata correct? Also this is for a dell laptop correct?
You could lose me here. The drive is the same make and size with the same pins as the original. The computer is a Dell 600M Inspiron.
OK and just to verify have you disconnected the hard drive and then reconnected it again to reseat it and are you installing a fresh copy of windows at all?
I took out the original hard drive, which was completely defunct, and replaced it. I have various copies of Windows, from 98, ME XP to Windows 7. None of them could reach the hard drive. As I said, an old installation disk from Western Digital recognized it so I assume it's correctly installed. I thought the new drive would have an installation disk.
Hard drives don't have installations disks. Usually if the machine detects it you are supposed to load a windows disk in the machine and the windows disk is supposed to autodetect and partition the hard drive. Have you tried installing windows as of yet?
Yes. I have tried every one of those I mentioned above. I even tried loading DOS 5. They don't see the drive. When I bought hard drives in the past they came with installation disks (or even 3 1/2 inch floppies, I have one for Seagate.)
Where was this hard drive purchased? Also Is this machine an older xp machine by chance?
The drive was bought from MIT GROUP TECH COMP through Amazon. I don't know what was the original OS when the computer was bought. It was not mine.
Laptop technician: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 2 years ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Even though you bought that hard disk as new, you need to take into consideration that it might be faulty, especially since every operating system you tried to install failed to recognize it.
To easily test the hard disk, you can connect it to a hard disk drive enclosure and connect it to another computer using an USB cable. It should then be detected. If not, it is a faulty hard disk drive and you need to report it / return it to the seller.
For that hard disk drive type, you need "USB to IDE enclosure". Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Aluminum-External-Enclosure-Capacity/dp/B000XPS3U6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435622608&sr=8-1&keywords=hdd+2.5+External+Enclosure+ata
Hi again!
I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.
If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my help to you using the rating box located in the upper right corner of the page (box with stars).
Thanks,
IT Miro, Computer Scientist