Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  15 Years saving Laptops from the recyling bin! Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My toshiba laptop wont start up I get a blue screen and

Customer Question

Hi, My toshiba laptop wont start up I get a blue screen and an error code 0xc0000185, I have shut all the way down and restarted pressing F8 and nothing else happens
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!\
So I can assist you with specific instructions I need to ask you some questions about your toshiba machine.
Do you know the full name brand and model, such as a satellite C765 Or Qosmio 15 ?
Also, do you know if the machine had windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 Installed on it?
Thank you,
Dustin S.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Satellite P55t-A5202

I have Windows 8

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Nakisha.
Could you shut the computer down again, start it. And this time take down the entire error message.
Especially any lines that look like this. File: \Windows\System32
Or similar.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has changed now, not sure what I did but it says Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Service and press a key

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Hmm.. It sounds like your hard drive may have failed.. That, or your bios settings have been altered.
We should try to access your boot settings, or bios settings.. And verify that its set to boot from your hard drive as a 1st boot device.
Start the computer tapping the f12 key, and if that wont open the bios, or boot options. Start it and try the f2 key..
* Note * You must fully shut down, in between startup attempts.. And you must rapidly tap the F12 or F2 keys starting in the half second after you press power to turn on the computer.
Will either of those t ake you to a bios, or boot option menu?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I'm at the Boot Menu, it says

HDD/SSD

USB

ODD MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ8E2

LAN atheros Lab for IPv4

<Enter Setup>

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
My apologies for the delay.
If your at the boot menu, and you select HDD / SDD and hit enter.
Do you receive any errors now, or does it still say
""select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media""
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still says the same thing, looks like the hard drive may have crashed

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
How old is the Toshiba?
Over a year, or under a year?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm pretty sure it's not quite a year bit I bought it off eBay, so not sure about the warranty.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Understood.. Its possible you could save the date from the internal hard drive with a cable set such as this.
http://amzn.to/1Gd4Ifj
Ive had great success with those cable sets. Personally, and also with clients I've advised to order those cables. If there isnt any critical data, pictures, or anything else you needed on that hard drive, then you wont need the cable set.
But it seems you do need a Hard Drive.
http://amzn.to/1Ts9v6E
Thats a terrabyte hard drive, but you could probably get by with a cheaper 500 gigabyte hard drive or even less.. ( depending on how many videos, pictures, and files you store. And programs you need to install )
This hard drive is only 320 Gigabytes, but is about 40% the cost of the*****above.
http://amzn.to/1QCKIOx
If you have further questions, youre welcome to respond.
Dustin S.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, I havent heard back from you for a while. I was wondering if you had any further questions or wanted to discuss the issue further.
Please respond when you can and let me know where we stand. Thank you,
Dustin S