DJ_T_Dogg
DJ_T_Dogg, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  8+ years of experience in troubleshooting A+ Computer Maintenance and Repair. Laptop LCD Screen Repair, Keyboards, and more!
16569391

Dustin, Im Ashley Modlamootoo, service technician in Mauritius. I

Customer Question

Hi Dustin,
Im Ashley Modlamootoo, service technician in Mauritius.
I have a dell lattitude E5530. I need to reload windows but, i can't change the booting setup because of an administrative password. Can you please help me. Service tag is CQ30NX1. Email address,***@******.***,***@******.***. Thank you in advance sir.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  DJ_T_Dogg replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ashley,
So the boot menu is stuck, how long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sir,
For some months. The technician who put the password ***** the company.
The boot setup is stuck on windows boot manager. Can't change it to cd rom because of the password.
Expert:  DJ_T_Dogg replied 2 years ago.
Ahhh yes! you're referring to the BIOS password. You are limited on your available options!
Dell Master bios password ***** on all dells-
ID10t5
You'll then need to shut the computer off and open the machine up and pull the battery.
Most Dell Laptops store password ***** EEPROM which doesn't need battery to retain information.
Dell can provide you with a master password ***** you're registered customer/buyer for this computer. However, most buy used.
To reset the password ***** need to reset the EEPROM device:
First you need to find it, every model has it in a different location, I had to remove the motherboard and it was on the bottom closer to the parallel connector's edge of the board. Look for an 8-legged device with markings similar to the one at the link above. Once you found it, simply connect the two leggs and power the board up. In my case, the lights came on but the computer didn't start. After removing paper clip, the computer started and informed me that it was in Factory mode, press FnX to get out of it. After pressing Fn then X, I was able to go in and reset date and other junk and everything works again.
Follow laptop Service Manual that you can find the dell. It'll show you how to strip the computer down.
If all else fails, then I would advise to contact Dell Directly at 1-***-***-**** or take it to a computer repair shop(most of these places have means of getting the password *****).
few other solutons, I have personally used this program:
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm
Its a free download utility, that you burn to a cd or put on a Flash Drive, and then put it in upon starting the computer and it will allow you to regain access to wipe the password ***** start fresh.
If for any reason that doesn't work, you can do the following:
http://loginrecovery.com/
If you still cannot get into your computer, I would advise to reinstall Windows, you do get the option during the install to save your current files, sometimes it doesn't work 100% though. So if you have files on your computer that are not not easy to get back(irreplaceable), I would advise to take the hard drive out, take it to a Data Recovery Center(most local computer shops can also, get your data off the hard drive) Then get a new hard drive and install windows.
Glad I could be of assistance and God Bless! Please provide a positive rating!
Travis B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Dj,
The HDD is blank. There are no windows at all.
The windows boot manager also is blank, this is why i can't install new windows. I tried to contact dell, but for my region, i can't send them an email. I put the sercive tag but it keep saying, not valid.
Will try to look for the eeprom.
Expert:  DJ_T_Dogg replied 2 years ago.
Ahh, that generally means it's not been registered before with DELL.
The eProm is your only option along with the password ***** methods!
Lastly, you can contact Dell for other password ***** help, they do provide 50-75% off services, new units, and repairs.
Please provide a positive rating, Glad I could be of assistance and God Bless!
Travis B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Dj,
Thanks..
Can you please give more advise on flashing the Eeprom..
Which two legs should i short?
Is this safe?
Won't it erase everything on my bios, making the laptop useless..?
Expert:  DJ_T_Dogg replied 2 years ago.
Very welcome. Yes it's safe you wont erase anything but the bios password. No data will be lost.
https://www.google.com/#q=dell+reset+eeprom&tbm=vid
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/683711-How-to-reset-the-EEPROM-in-a-DELL-laptop-battery-Help-please-!
Travis B.