Richard, Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Computers, Mobile devices and Networks
32989067

I purchased an ASUS MeMO Pad 10 ME102A-AI-PK 10.1" 16 GB tablet

Customer Question

I purchased an ASUS MeMO Pad 10 ME102A-AI-PK 10.1" 16 GB tablet from Amazon 10/4/2014. Over past few months I/ve had problems with the screen tiling/scrolling several times per second, blanking (not sleeping), Chrome locking many times to day, and screen turning grey, not responding to on/off button. This happens regardless of app or battery charge. Sometimes removing and reinserting USB power cord, or removing and reinserting headset cable will bring tablet back to life. The device is basically unusable at this point.
Serial number E20KCT129001. ANDROID 4.2.2
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
When chrome locks, does it give a specific error message?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I wait long enough it gives 'chrome has stopped' or it just goes to home screen. this is the least of my problems. Screen problems make the device basically unusable
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** can give insight into what is causing this all as the problem is either the internal memory or the firmware that is the issue and we need to confirm which.
To do this we will need to reset the Pad, this will wipe all your data and reload the firmware which returns the device to an as new state.
Please follow the below procedure to do this.
Turn the device, then press and hold Volume Up and Power.
Release the power button when you see the logo,but continue to hold Volume Up until it appears the recovery screen.
Then use the volume buttons to navigate the menu and select Wipe data/factory reset.
Press home to choose the selection and press Volume Up to continue.
Let this complete and when it has, tell me if it now functions correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
never got to recovery screen. am restarting again and will repeat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did you mean to say turn device on or off(first line in your note
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, I see the word off was left out.
The first step is Turn the device Off.
So it has to be completly off please, hold the power button down until it is off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
k. now have android belly up with '1' AND 'no command'
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, looks like it faulted on reading the memory.,
try the procedure again please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
k
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
same result
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the issue
It is the internal memory that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it. The fact that we cannot get to the recovery window, confirms it is the memory that shorts out, and causes the device to fault.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return it to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll be happy to give you a 5 star or whatever. what is the return procedure
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You will return it to the place you purchased it from and they handle this for you. With such a problem they will replace the entire unit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bought it through Amazon and their return policy is they except returns for any reason within 30 days from purchase. I bought 10/4/14
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thats for items you changed your mind on, this is a warranty exchange do your covered by the warranty, though as its a year old it may have expired, it will depend on the warranty given at the time of purchase.
But you can initiate the warranty return process here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/orc/returns/homepage.html/ref=orc_surl_ret_hp
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
only had it 9 months
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I use dates in reverse, but then it should still be covered so use the process via the link I gave you please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when i click on link it shows 0 orders from 2014 that can be returned
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've had problems with other electronics purchased from Amazon and was told after 30 days from purchase have to contact manufacturer or manufacturer's authorized service center
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok strange, but then you will have to call Asus on 1800 30 6351 directly to organise this as Amazon is not going to do it for you if they are saying this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1800 30 6351 missing a digit
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, thats how they have it on their site so must have a mis print
Try 877- 339- 2787
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
IS there a case number ***** need when I call them?
I've been in IT since '79 (before IBM PC, COMPAQ (now HP) and Mac) and appreciate your professional support. As an Asus consumer nor so much
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, when you call they will create a case number (RMA) for you
And your most welcome.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen and then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you