Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

Installed new hard drive but it will not boot up keeps giving

Customer Question

installed new hard drive but it will not boot up keeps giving me message to reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media help
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 years ago.

If anyone wishes to ask Jason a question directly,
they can do so at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com

My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.
May I ask for to you tell me what is printed on the Windows' DVD/CD?
I look forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
windows xp home edition and it is not a laptop but a desktop
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did not know this was timed
Is it the Windows Installation disc or the Software Disk?
When you try booting off the cd drive, does it at least attempt to read cd-rom drive? You can tell when it is trying to read when the light on the CD drive is on.
What are you referring to about anything being timed? We are not on a time limit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes the light flashes and i can hea it for a second or two
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry about the time there is a little note above where you type thaty says expert time left 10 minutes
Do you have another computer that you can test the cd with? Try booting from the cd on another computer. I wish to verify whether or not the CD is working or if it is damaged in some way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i can put it in the laptop i am on but it hs vista on so it shows up but blocks out the instlation part
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry about speeling been up since 5 this mourning
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i used the cd on a differant pc about two weeks ago and it worked fine
Do not try installing it from within Windows.
Put the cd in the other computer, turn it off, turn it on, and attempt to boot from the CD/DVD drive. What happens when you do that?
No worries about the spelling :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the only other pc i have is the one i am on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i tried that on my desktop and it still would not boot unless i did something wrong in the bios setup
Okay.
Please, test this pc.
I don't understand your last statement.
Are you saying that you tried the CD on two different computers and neither worked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried it on my desktop with the new hard drive and nothing but the error message, loaded xp into my preachers pc and it worked fine
You used that same cd on your preacher's PC and it worked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes worked fine and loaded xp with no problems at all, i can put cd in the laptop i am on and open it up and explore and the only thing i cant do is install it due to a newer version of windows already installed
Is the installation disc a cd or dvd?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cd
When you turn the computer on, please press the shortcut key for choosing the boot drive. (F12, F10, ESC, or DEL). From the menu screen, choose the DVD/CD drive manually and press enter. Is there any change?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do you meen change it so the dvd/cd boots first if that is it i have tried that get same message
No, I mean press the shortcut key responsible for manually choosing the boot order. Do that and then choose the CD/DVD option.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you could walk me through changing that to see if i am doing it right what i have been doing is going into bios and making dvd/cd option one for bootup same error message ill try again
What is the brand and model name of your computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am in bios and at boot options it is set for cd/dvd to be 1st doot device I saved it and exited and same message, it a a acer aspire
What is the full model name? Acer Aspire ......
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
What is the full model name? There are several model names that begin with "Acer Aspire".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
xc603gthat help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also have a (dont laugh) a 98 disk that still works I have it for my kids pc it runs all her games
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
her pc is at her moms house not here
I am familiar with that particular model.
Let's try resetting the BIOS first. After the resetting and saving in the BIOS, choose the CD/DVD drive as the first boot drive. Once you save all that and reboot, are there are there any changes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no same message
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it just tarts with acer logo then go right to error message of reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
need cafine be back in 30 seconds
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im back sorry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do I need to take it to a repair shop I am ready to throw it through a window
As of right now, you may need to take it to a repair shop because it looks as though the CD/DVD drive may be faulty.
Within the bios, does it 'see' that the cd/dvd drive is attached?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not sure how to tell
In the drive section, it will list all the available drives. You should see your hard drive and cd/dvd drive listed there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I played a music cd in it this mourning
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
in the bios setup it does not show any drive section am I looking in the right spot
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it has a headinds of main, advanaced power authentication security boot options exit thats it
In the boot options > drive settings screen in the bios, which options do you see that you can change?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have hard disk, cd&dvd, removable device and LAN then there are listyings for the drive prioritys
What is listed for the drive priorities?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hard disk, optical disk, removable disk and network device they all have the same thing to the right it just says press enter
I have run out of ideas.
For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.
The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.
When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.
Thank you for your patience.
- Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand this is a strange one, Ill check my email, I assume it would be tommorro before I hear from them
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your persisting issues. Is your CD/DVD ROM shown as the first boot device like the screen shot below?
http://filesxpress.com/d-a764a58c
Also, can you please tell me your BIOS software? Is it Phoenix? American Megatrends? Award BIOS?
Another thing is, can you please confirm if the CD/DVD DRIVE is detected by your system BIOS? One of the BIOS screens there should list something like the screen shot below showing the CD/DVD Drive brand or model:
http://filesxpress.com/d-04837d1c
Please let me know so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the top screen shot looks right but I do not see anything like the one showing the dvd/cd at all
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not know where to look to see what kind of bios it is
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going to bed now I have been up for 22 hours I will check back around 10
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information. Yes, pleas take your time to sleep and we can just resume with this when you are back and available. Just post a reply here so that we can resume.
When you are back, can you please take a picture of your BIOS screen showing the Boot Order? You can upload the picture to http://filesXpress.com and then give me the short download link.
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I decided to take it to a repair shop I am over it thank you for trying to help but I am done
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back and I hope your computer is now fixed after sending it to the repair shop.
If you need anything else in the future, please let me know. I will be happy to help.
Best regards,
Jess