Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

Toshiba Satellite a135-s4527. Had to replace hard drive, ordered…

Customer Question
Toshiba Satellite a135-s4527. Had...
Toshiba Satellite a135-s4527. Had to replace hard drive, ordered recovery media from Toshiba and it will not load. Receive a Windows boot Manager message saying that Windows has encountered a problem. I am able to load Windows XP in it with no problem. Why won't recovery disk load? Possibly faulty recovery disk?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
5/24/2015
Laptop technician: Dustin, Senior Technician replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Senior Technician
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
Recovery media is a bit misleading. The recovery media they send has always been a bit finicky.
Question, you mentioned installing windows xp. But do you remember what version of windows was on the machine, before the hard drive failure?
Windows Vista.
32 bit version
Do you know for *certain* whether it was Starter, home basic, home premium, or ultimate?
Home Premium OEMAct according to the sticker on the computer
Excellent.
What you are going to have to do, is use another computer. download the 32 bit iso file on this page
http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-vista-home-premium-download-iso-32-bit-64-bit/
Scroll down till you see two download links in blue, that say 32 and 64 bit.
Choose the 32 bit download.. download the file.. Its 2 gigabytes.
Then once downloaded. You want to create a dvd from the iso file.
Dont just copy the iso file to the disk.. You need to actually burn the iso image to the disk using a program such as nero, or the free imgburn program
You can get imgburn here
http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
And heres how to burn the vista ISO image to a disk
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/11194-how-to-create-a-windows-vista-7-8-installation-disc-bootable-using-imgburn/
Once created.. Simply boot the toshiba from t he disk. Clean install windows vista.
Then, go to the toshiba website and manually download your unique drivers for your Video card, sound card, and wireless network adapter. ( those are the main ones to be concerned with )
That should get you a running version of windows. If you wanted, after you install windows with the disk, you could still attempt to run the toshiba recovery disks.
Thats up to you.. I find it more reliable t hough, to manually download the drivers from the toshiba site.
let me know if you run into any issues.
I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Dustin, Senior Technician