Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

I hace a Toshiba laptop which has locked up. It suspends and resumes when I open and clos…

Customer Question
I hace a Toshiba laptop...
I hace a Toshiba laptop which has locked up. It suspends and resumes when I open and close the case, or press the power button. I cannot get it to reboot. Pressing return or clicking the mouse does not cause the signin screen to appear. I think I need to force it to reboot, which I can't seem to do. Just before this happened, I lost the cursor; it dispeared on the screen. I could alt-tab, but the touch pad did not work
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Laptop
5/23/2015
Laptop technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 3 years ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician
My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.
I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.
May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?
Thank you,
Jason
Remote connection is unnecessary, and not appropriate, as the computer is unresponsive.
I apologize for the misunderstanding. As it stands, the computer simply needs to be reset.
Unplug the power to the laptop and remove the battery. Once that is complete, wait 30 seconds, put the battery back in the laptop, plug in the power, and turn it on. That should get you going.
Did that help?
I am working from another computer. I have gotten the computer to power cycle, and get to the reset scren. I exited from that, so the keyboard works in that context. It rebooted into windows, and the keyboard and mouse are then unresponsiveThe battery is inaccessible
So it appears to be a software problem
Thank you for the update.
Once Windows is booted and running, press and hold the power button until it turns off (keep it depressed until it shuts off). Once it is off, turn it back on.
How is the keyboard and mouse now?
No change
Do you have an external keyboard & mouse that you can use temporarily?
Yes, already tried it, if you read the original post. The computer does not recognize the USB device insertion
I just tried inserting a USB drive, that was not recognized, either, or rather, the computer did not make the sound associated with a usb device insertion
I have run out of ideas.
For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.
The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.
When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.
Thank you for your patience.
- Jason
Laptop technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 3 years ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. When you reboot the machine and reach the login screen does the keyboard and mouse work at that point?
When I reboot the machine, it does not present the login screen at all. It presents the wallpaper, which should disappear and present the login screen when I hit return or touch the mouse pad. This does not happen.
You can try to force Windows into automatic repair mode. Turn it on and within 5 seconds hold down the power button to shut the laptop off. After the third shutdown turn it on without doing the shutdown.
Guys, none of this stuff worked, I am taking to Best Buy
Laptop technician: Chris Lindsey, IT Technician replied 3 years ago
Chris Lindsey
Chris Lindsey, IT Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to personally welcome you to JustAnswer.
The problem you're running into is usually pointed to the BIOS programming of the laptop which senses the sleep and enable mode.
I'd like to talk to you on the phone to troubleshoot you through this all.
Please let me know.
Chris
I have engaged other services to fix this.
Not a problem.
Let me know if you would like to continue from here.
Chris