Laptop

Laptop questions? Ask a laptop technician for answers ASAP!

Can't get keyboard to work on E50-A Series

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Laptop
5/23/2015
Laptop technician: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 3 years ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Has the keyboard worked on your Toshiba E50-A laptop before, but now it stopped working, or it has never worked?
Let me know,
Has always worked
OK.
Is it completely "dead" meaning none of the keys are working, or some of the keys do work?
You can check that by opening a new text document and test the keys there.
Can't open a text document when I can't put in password ***** keys don't work
OK.
Let's see if the keyboard works in the BIOS (before entering Windows).
Please shut down the Toshiba laptop. Wait for about 10 seconds and then power it on, and immediately start pressing the F2 key on the keyboard. It should enter the BIOS. If it does, test the arrow keys to go to different menus (tabs) there.
If it doesn't enter the BIOS, restart the Toshiba laptop and keep pressing the F12 key instead. It should show you the boot menu selection window.
Let me know if either F2 or F12 worked.
Not sure what bios means but after pressing f2 I got a Networks menu but that's all
The keys appear to be locked
The goal is determine if the keyboard is completely non-functional or it only doesn't work when Windows is loaded (on the password *****).
When you press F2 and get to the Network menu, can you use the arrow keys or any other key to move through the menu there? Check if Enter is working as well.
Arrow and enter keys do not work
In that case, something has happened to the keyboard and you may need to have it replaced in order to fully use your laptop again.
Is the laptop still under warranty?
Hi again!
Do you still require assistance with this issue?
Let me know,
no. had to buy a new computer
If you require any other assistance, I am here to help.
Regards,