Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

I have an ACER Aspire laptop

Customer Question
computer running on Windows 8.1...
I have an ACER Aspire laptop computer running on Windows 8.1. I want to know how I can transfer pictures from my Sony Mavica Mvc-FD200 camera to my PC. I have them connected by the USB transfer cable but I don't know how to make the transfer begin or how to control it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
5/18/2015
Laptop technician: DrKlahn, Computer Engineer replied 2 years ago
DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Computer Engineer
Good evening from the USA. (Local time here is 23:58 PM.) I'm Bruce, and my expert nickname is "DrKlahn."

The system says this is your first visit to JustAnswer. I find that new users often skip or do not notice some information during question setup. It is boilerplate but it is very important.

• Prices and payments issues are handled by Customer Service.

• JustAnswer is not the Sony Mavica or Microsoft Windows support site. That is why there is a fee. I support products from many manufacturers and I happily troubleshoot all issues, including those where a manufacturer says "The problem is not in our product."

• Experts are not salaried or paid hourly. My assistance goes unpaid without your positive rating.

• If the problem involves hardware, please have it at hand so that you can work with it.

• Patience is required during Q&A. I get responses by email, which takes up to 8 minutes. Then I have to prepare and type a reply. Please allow for this.

• JustAnswer provides services 24/7, but both experts and customers have daily schedules. If you respond significantly later it might be the next day before I can reply.

Now that you've read the above, please let me know if you'd like to proceed. I do know what the issue is and I have a workaround for it, but it will not be fully automatic.

Yes, I want to continue. Whatever the transfer method is, I will need it written out as instructions so I can follow all the instructions without missing a step or two. Thank you. Vivian

OK. The background first:

Sony stopped support for the camera a few years after it was introduced. This is not untypical; Sony's support period for products is two to three years. It was last supported under Windows XP, which means that it is now about 10 years out of support. The 32-bit software originally supplied with it will not run under Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. Therefore you need a workaround.

There are two possible workarounds and I think one is more convenient than the other, but you will have to judge which one you like better. Both converge at the actual process of transferring the pictures.

1: Buy a USB universal flash memory reader so you can transfer pictures without having to plug in the camera and keep it attached with the power on. Cost, a few dollars. Two typical units on ebay are linked below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321756363690
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391023218481

I think that this is more convenient because you simply eject the Memory Stick from the camera, insert it into the reader, and transfer the photos at your convenience without having the camera powered up and tethered to the computer.

2: Tether the camera to the computer by USB cable and use it as the card reader, per the instructions on page 82 of the user manual. If you don't have the user manual, you can obtain a copy at the link directly below.

https://docs.sony.com/release/MVCFD200.pdf

Here the instructions converge.

With either the card reader attached or the camera tethered, look in My Computer for a disk drive that is labeled a Removable Disk. If the camera is tethered there should be only one. If a card reader is used there may be five and you will have to look in all of them to see which one is the Memory Stick reader.

From here forward we consider the camera / card reader to be a removable disk drive and treat it as such.

Navigate to the folder on the drive that contains the pictures. Leave this window open. We will call this Folder 1.

Open another copy of Windows Explorer or My Computer and navigate to the folder to where you want the pictures to go on your computer's hard drive. We will call this Folder 2.

Click in the Folder 1 window. Press CTRL and A at the same time, then CTRL and C at the same time. This puts all the photos on the Clipboard.

Click in the Folder 2 window. Press CTRL and V at the same time. This copies all photos to Folder 2.

Now the photos are on your hard drive and you can do whatever you wish with them.

If you are using the card reader, replace the Memory Stick into the camera.

Do not erase the photos from the camera until you are sure they were copied successfully.

Let me know if these instructions are sufficiently detailed. If so I will write them up so you can download a printable copy.

Are you saying that a Universal Flash Memory Reader, and a Card Reader are the same thing?

Same thing.

Will you write up both instructions, and send it to my email please?***@******.***. I will check my email first thing tomorrow looking for your reply, then I will have to check out buying a Flash Memory Card Reader so the process might be a little easier. Thank you for working on this for me. As far as I know you are paid, and I appreciate the possible solutions you have come up with, but I won't be able to rate the success of this until I get the Card Reader, and successfully make the transfers. Thank you. Vivian***@******.***

To protect your privacy I'm not allowed to email to you and indeed the system expurgates email addresses so I can't see them, but I have transcribed the instructions and you can download them at the link below.

http://www.tempsend.com/B5991965A2

Right click on the link in the center of that web page and select "Save file" as the download option. This will download the instructions as a plain text file.

When you are ready, use the Rating panel and this will close the question and pay me for the answer.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have if anything is unclear.

Side note: The Mavica series cameras also supported storing to their internal floppy disk drives. Do not use this option and don't keep a floppy disk in the camera; use only Memory Stick if you want to download to a computer.
DrKlahn
DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Computer Engineer