Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

When I power on my laptop the screen is blank and I hear fans

Customer Question
running. When plugged into...
When I power on my laptop the screen is blank and I hear fans running. When plugged into a monitor or tv with DVI or HDMI there is no signal to the tv or monitor. I have tried pulling the battery, unpluging the laptop and holding the power button for a minute, then plugging it in and powering on but nothing changed. How can I get my computer working again?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Laptop
5/16/2015
Laptop technician: Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast replied 2 years ago
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. I am sorry you have encountered this kind of problem. So I know what kind of machine we are working with, what is the make of the computer and the model number please?
It is an iBUYPOWER W86CU
OK and what version of windows is it using and just to make sure have you removed the battery and the powercord and then plug the power cord in only and leave the battery out. Then turn it back on and tell me if it does the same thing.
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. It does the same with no battery and power cord only plugged in.
Ok and if you hold a very bright light up to the monitor do you see an image at all?
No image when holding a light to the screen.
Ok then this means either a memory malfunction or CPU communication problems. This is not software related. On the bottom of the machine there should be an access panel so you can get to the memory. The door may have a microchip picture on it. If not you will need to remove the bottom panel. If you can locate it open it and remove the memory cards and put them back in. You may need to just re seat the memory.
OK, I took out both chips and put them back in.
Ok turn the machine back on and tell me if it does the same thing.
It does the same thing, no image.
Ok where there two memory cards or just one?
Two, you are talking about the RAM cards right?
That is correct, I know this can be a pain, this time try one in at a time if one doesn't work then remove one and try the other. Each change in memory cards turn the machine on. We are testing both one at a time.
Tried all combinations and nothing changed. I did notice that only one
of the two fans is running when I turn it on.
This means it's not a memory problem, This is pointing to either a cpu malfunction or the motherboard itself is not communicating with the CPU. How long have you had this machine?
About 4 years.
I see, the problem you are having is more than likely the motherboard malfunctioning. I can locate a replacement if you think you can replace it yourself however if not you would need to have it done for you I'm afraid. Are you familiar with doing anything like this?
If you are not you are going to want the CPU tested and the motherboard. This is looking more like a motherboard malfunction I am so very sorry. Please don't leave negative feedback positive feedback is how I am compensated for my time. I highly recommend checking ibuypower as well to see if they can cover the repair. You can call them at(###) ###-####also I do recommend getting a quote from local repair centers if you can't put a replacement motherboard in your self.
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast