Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Engineer with 7+ yrs. experience as a software troubleshooter, developer & hardware support.
22727371

My toshiba laptop crashed, I ordered a recovery disk from toshiba and

Customer Question

My toshiba laptop crashed, I ordered a recovery disk from toshiba and it errored out on start up after restored to out of box. I was told the hard drive mustbe bad, so put in a new toshiba 2.5 1tb hard drive. I am still getting the same error now that the computer restarted unexpextantly or encountered an expected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows click ok to restart. Can you help? It is a toshiba satellite.

Category: Laptop
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.
Good evening. I'm Bruce, nickname "DrKlahn."

Given that you've replaced the hard drive and ordered new recovery media from Toshiba, we have to wonder if there is a problem in the laptop's hardware.

I suggest running an extended memory test and see if the system can pass it. If it can, then the basic hardware is working and the memory is OK.

Do you have another system available on which you can burn a CD to test the memory?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not, but can save a file to a flash drive

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.
OK. Unfortunately the memory test only runs from CD. Can you borrow the use of another system that has a CD burner?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do have another laptop that can burn cds but I am embarressed to say I have never done that, so don't know what to do

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.
Actually, reviewing the offerings at the Memtest-86 web site I see that they do now offer a USB flash drive version. Do the following on any available Windows system:

Right click the link below and select "download file" as the option. Save it somewhere that you can find it after it is downloaded.

http://www.memtest.org/download/5.01/memtest86+-5.01.usb.installer.zip

After the download completes, open My Computer or Windows Explorer and locate the file you just downloaded. Right click on the file and select Extract All, then follow the instructions Windows gives you to extract the single file in the ZIP archive.

Insert a USB drive into the system, any size will do but it must be one that you don't have anything critical on because the installer completely overwrites the drive. Then double-click on the USB installer file you just extracted from the ZIP archive, and create the bootable USB drive.

Now take the bootable USB drive to the problem system. Insert the USB drive. Remove any CD that may be in the system. Start the system up. Ideally the system should boot from the USB drive and start running the memory diagnostic. If it does not automatically boot the diagnostic, let me know and we will go the CD route instead.

The full memory test can take up to 8 hours. Let it run at least one pass and see if it finds any errors.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok if it does fi d errors what then?

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.
If it finds errors in the memory, then some of the memory will have to be replaced. But if it finds problems with the computer hardware ... well, best to not borrow problems that you hopefully do not have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I just put the usb in the bad computer and restart it?

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.
Yes. If that fails to automatically start the diagnostic, we'll switch over to the CD method instead.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok trying it now

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.
Let me know what develops ...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It didn't do anything, I see it's a zip file on the disk, does it need to be unzipped first?

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.
Yup. Start back above where the text reads

"Right click the link below and select "download file" ..."

Do not download the ZIP file to the USB drive. This won't work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I guess I didn't read that originally. I have the file on the flash drive and booted to the usb and nothing still?

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.
Let me confirm:

1. You unzipped the ZIP file, resulting in the .EXE file.

2. You ran the resulting .EXE file, which wrote the bootable USB drive.

3. The resulting bootable USB drive, when inserted into the problem system, did not boot.

Is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The exe file is on the usb, I hit f12 when I started the bad computer and booted from the usb drive and got the same windows error at the beginning

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.
Start back above where the text reads

Do not download anything to the USB drive. Do not copy anything to the USB drive. Download to the system's hard drive.

Do not unpack the .EXE file to the USB drive. Do not copy the .EXE file to the USB drive. Unpack the .EXE file to the system's hard drive.

Then run the .EXE file.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is confusing to me. I downloaded to my good laptop extracted to my good laptop and copied the exe file to the usb. I don't know how to unpack the file to tne bad laptop since it will not boot to anything?

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.
I recommend that you take the system to a reputable locally owned computer shop and have them deal with the problem. From here on out the issues become progressively more technical and I'm afraid that you will not be able to deal with them.

Would you like me to send your question to Customer Service for a refund of your deposit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes thanks