flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant 30 years in nyc computer industry working with PC and networks banks brokerage legal etc.
23372949

Have a toshiba l775 having problem getting replacement battery

Customer Question

Have a toshiba l775 having problem getting replacement battery to work, I have tried 3 seperate battries all new with same result, computer will not start with new battery in, if i take new battery out it will start, if i put old battery in it will start no problem, i have tried hard reset, uninstalling microsoft ACPI-compliant control method batery and then detecting hardware change still no luck
Category: Laptop
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have also tried hard reboot by pressing power button, i have also updated to the newest bios
Expert:  Christopher Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to offer a suggestion. Can you tell me if the laptop started with the old battery? If yes, leave the new battery in the PC with the power off for a couple of hours. This should charge it enough to not be as much of amps draw on the PC's power supply.
. If the information I provided did not help, please reply and let me know before you rate my answer bad or poor. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the battery was let in the laptop for 2 days
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1: i have tried 3 seperate brand new batteries with same results
2: laptop will boot fine with old battery
3: laptop pluged into ac and new batery all i get is flashing orange light if i remove battery laptop will boot (start) then if i put new battery in after it boots laptop indicates that it is 100% if i remove ac laptop shuts down
Thanks for the further information.. One more trick.Try a reset... remove the new battery and from AC the adapter. Press and hold power ON button for 30secs at least. Put the battery back in and plug into AC then Power ON as normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
as I mentioned above i have all ready tried that procedure (hard reset) with no luck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i need a solution that i have not all ready tried and mentioned above in my opening question
Okay. Do you have access to a voltmeter?
Another thought. If you go to control panel, then system /Device mangager. Do you see any "yellow !" or "X"s?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
battery checked out fine (with voltmeter), as mentioned before this is the 3rd NEW battery that i can not get to work with laptop. there are no ! or x in device manager
The only other thing that comes to mind would be if the new battery amps are rated higher than the old one, maybe puts a strain on the system The label should indicate the amp draw. Of course battery voltage if different, could also be an issue.
I'll opt out and put the question out to the other experts if none of my answers helped.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
new battery is exact same voltage and amperage as old battery
I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. I'll opt out and put the question out to other experts. I'll keep giving it some thought. If I come across anything, I'll let you know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks will be waiting for other expert advise
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Did all three of those batteries come from Toshiba?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No the batteries came from three different places the most recent is an authentic toshiba replacement
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/74563-35-toshiba-satellite-replacement-battery
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks yes i had seen that post , i have the same issue and as i mentioned earlier i did do a bios upgrade with no luck
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.
I would try the toshiba official one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes the third and last NEW battry i tried is a toshiba original replacement battery, it looks identical to my old battery which still works but does not keep a charge as long as it did when new, hence that is why i am trying to replace old battery with new battery
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.
this sounds stupid but are you sure that you took off any plastic or tape that might have been there for shipping ?
I cant understand why a batter that shows a charge would keep the laptop from turning on unless it was crosswired somehow and actually draining the charge going in from the charger
if you turn it on plugged in without the battery what happens if you plug the battery in while it is on ?
is it possible that the battery is just so low that it is drawing all the charge power and if you just let it sit and charge overnight it might work ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah no plastic tapeLaptop will continue to work, if battery is inserterd after initial start and will show 100% in task bar but will instantly shut down if you unplug acHad it charging for 2 days
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.
and the old battery works with no problems other than it loses power quickly ?
i like the post richard found about the bios upgrade
have you done all the possible upgrades ?
have you got the complete model number ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes old battery works fine except does not retain charge as long as it did when newtried the bios upgrade from toshiba site still no luckwhat other upgrade would be relevent other than battery driver and bios which were doneseries= L775 model = PSK3SC-06G004
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.
i cant find that model all the satalite L775 have a dash-S and 3 numbers
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://support.toshiba.ca/support/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://support.toshiba.ca/support/isg/product = notebook
family = satellite
series = L775
model = PSK3SC-06G004
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.
try the chipset utility as well as the bios again
and the newest of anything else in there.
it may not be for that specific problem but there may be some weird reason that driver is screwing up because somebody programmed it to check for something in the battery.
I am sorry i didnt realize it was a canadian model.
Kind of weird that they have 64 and 32 bit drivers for the same model number though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just re installed the newest bios, and updated any relevent drivers

STILL no luck......

ok laptop was just brought it to local pc repair shop ........and they also had no idea why new battery was not working.

i am just going to try and return new battery before i run out of time to return....and just live with old battery