Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell, Acer, Asus, Samsung, HP, Compaq
23511658

I reset my computer to factory settings Its my work laptop and my boss set up Microsoft a

Customer Question

i reset my computer to factory settings
Its my work laptop and my boss set up Microsoft and everything and my work is gone
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. One of two things happen. If the reset was done and a wipe was done meaning that your entire hard drive is raced, then there is nothing you can do except recover from a backup if they happen to have one. However what is more likely is that they have created a new Windows user profile for you on the local computer which is what is serving as you are main repository for personal information, not only documents and photos but also the settings for your software. If this is the case, it's a fairly easy thing to fix. You would need an administrator on that computer meaning a local computer administrator – who and admin from the domain should be, to log into that computer and just copy your old user profile directory into your new user profile directory. When he or she does this they should just overwrite any existing files and this will have the effect of your computer coming up exactly the same as used too. If an administrator is reluctant to do this, it's because they think problems you are having before may be related to your profile and putting your profile or parts of it back onto your new profile may be something that warrants a little bit more caution. In any case, if it is mostly documents you are concerned about, they should be able to put those for you in a folder or an external drive where you can access them as needed and decide what you want and what you don't want. There's really no danger in doing that. So basically what you may have right now if the drive was not wiped is say your user name was Mike and is Mike, you may have a user profile directory under C:\users\Mike and when they created a new profile for you it may have created a profile under C:\users\Mike one. And started with a fresh user directory. What you have to do is find that old user profile and copier files from it. It's a lot simpler than a making it sound but it is something in admin should be all the do for you within a matter of minutes and it may be something you can do for yourself in a matter of minutes if you can find your old profile directory. Note that if you are not the network admin you may not have access to those anymore and you may have to have a network admin give you access to those files because all document folders are strictly restricted to the owner of that document directory unless explicit permissions are given otherwise. I think that answers your question but if you still have questions, please let me know