Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

I have an asus laptop with WIndows 8. Suddenly the touchpad

Customer Question
is working but not the...
I have an asus laptop with WIndows 8. Suddenly the touchpad is working but not the keyboard
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Laptop
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/9/2013
Laptop technician: Cris, Computer Enthusiast replied 4 years ago
Cris
Cris, Computer Enthusiast

Thank for contacting JustAnswer.com I am Cris.

Can you please tell me the make and model number of the laptop?

asus k55a-hi5103d

On most Asus laptop you can enable/disable the touchpad by pressing and holding the FN key then pressing either F3 or F9.

See if that will enabled your touchpad. Let me know how you make out.

but the touchpad is not the issue...the keyboard is not responding

I am sorry I appear to have confused your question. Do you have a USB keyboard you can plug to the laptop?

i do

Plug the keyboard to the laptop and do the following to perform a system restore. It will not affect your data just a simple way to undo system changes.

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.) Enter Recovery in the search box, tap or click Settings, and then tap or click Recovery.

Tap or click Open System Restore, and follow the prompts. Restore to a point where the keyboard last worked.

The laptop will restore then restart. Test out your issue, let me know the outcome.

Reply back to me BEFORE selecting a negative rating. I will answer your follow ups.

no luck..I tried several dates and each time I got a different response. but with no success at the keyboard

It appears you might have hardware failure on your keyboard.

How long have you had the laptop?

3 months. and for the last two it has sat there being used as a media centre.

and no..I do not have a sales receipt

That's fine most stores won't take any laptops back after 14-30 days.

However the laptop is still covered under the manufacturer warranty. Contact Asus Support at 1-888-678-3688.

You will most likely have to ship the laptop to them for repairs. They will cover any shipping and repairs.

Let me know if you have any further questions BEFORE selecting a negative rating. I will answer your follow ups.

according to the ASUS side they do want to see the receipt as proof when the warranty went into effect.

Btw, just to let you know, Windows 8, unlike previous version at least in my knowledge, will not allow a system restore with antivirus running. As it happens I had to do a system restore on my other ASUS at the same time..it worked fine and with AVG running. With Win 8 I had to shut it off.

I will opt out, as I have run out of solutions.

This will open the question to other experts who might have another solution for you to try.
Laptop technician: Dustin, Senior Technician replied 4 years ago
Dustin, Senior Technician
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is Dustin and I am here to help!

Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press R

( the windows key is two keys to the left of your spacebar)

Now type in devmgmt.msc and hit enter

This bring us into the device manager screen.

Now, scroll down to where it says Keyboards.. left click it to expand it.

And then right click and uninstall whatever you have listed for keyboards.

Then restart the computer.

Once restarted, go back to the device manager screen, keyboards.. And let me know what you see. If its showing your keyboard again, please test it.. And let me know if its now working..

I strive to provide great service. Please remember to click one of the rating icons below and submit it when you are satisfied. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S. Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Dustin, Senior Technician