Viet - Laptop Tech
Viet - Laptop Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of laptop (and desktop) hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

i forgot my bios password XXXXX my sony vaio pc. is there any

Customer Question

i forgot my bios password XXXXX my sony vaio pc. is there any way to reset it without having to open the computer up and remove the battery from the motherboard
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Laptop Tech replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, you have to open up the computer; for laptops, it may not work, for desktops it always works. Is this a laptop or desktop?

Thank you,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

its a desktop

I tried to open it up after watching a youtube video but for some reason i cannot get the back of the c

omputer off...even though all screws are out..

Sorry. Can you slide the panel/side of the desktop to the back to remove it, etc.? Try both sides as needed. Thank you,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will just have someone more familiar with taking the computer apart than i am to take care of it.....I was just hoping for and easier way. Thank you for your help

You're welcome. Sorry, about that; some computer models are not designed for easy removal; sometimes you have to pull/push hard, but be careful not to injure yourself. But once you are able to get the cover off, then removing the bios/cmos battery is simple:
graphic
OK, if you have any other computer question/issue later, please let us know any time. Thank you,