Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

how do i change the settings for my touchpad Dell (Windows

Customer Question
7)?...
how do i change the settings for my touchpad Dell (Windows 7)?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Laptop
8/2/2012
Laptop technician: sudipto_dutta, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 5 years ago
sudipto_dutta
sudipto_dutta, Computer Hardware Engineer
WELCOME TO JUST ANSWER!! My name is SUDIPTO and today I will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

What type of the settings, do you want to change?
Primarily, I want to turn off the feature where tapping the touchpad is the sam as a left click.
Please let me know the model no. of the Dell laptop.
Studio 1555
Please try my first answer and let me know, if you have any further questions, instead of rating the answer and please do not rate, unless you are satisfied.

First off, choose Control Panels off the START (windows logo) menu on the lower left of your computer screen:

You'll now see the many, many different ways you can customize your Vista/Windows 7 experience. You want "Mouse" settings (why there's no "Mouse / Touchpad" or similar I don't fully understand, just as it's puzzling that there are Tablet options when my laptop isn't a tablet and doesn't support that functionality. That's another story, though). You'll be dropped here:

Not really what you want, but we're getting there. Click on "Dell Touchpad" on the top left and you'll find that this is all just an elaborate path to get to the special Dell trackpad/touchpad control app:

Click on the huge arrow icon and you'll launch a separate application supplied by Dell that lets you gain complete control over the touchpad:

Almost there. Now click on "Touchpad Settings".

There we go. Finally. See where it shows "Taps" "Tap to Click"? Just uncheck that box and click on "Apply" on the lower right and you've disabled the tap to click capability of your Dell trackpad. Close the windows and you're done.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you think, it is at least "OK Service" or I have provided a Good or Excellent service.Reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Did you get my last response - I can't tell.
Did you saw my answer?
When I get to the mouse properties screen, I get almost the same screen as shown in your answer, but there is no "Dell Touchpad" button
What buttons, do you see?

First of all when I go to Control Panel, there is no "Hardware and Sound" icon as shown in your first screen. However, there is a "Mouse Options" icon which brings up a screen almost identical to your answer screen. However, the availble button are: Button, Pointers, Pointer Options, and Hardware (four in total).

Sorry for replying you late, please open the link below, then download and install the touchpad driver and application, then let me know.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats/Product/studio-1555?DriverId=PK13J&FileId=2731091131&urlProductCode=False

Download 1.Click Download Now, to download the file. 2.When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In: window appears. 3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop. 4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file icon appears on your desktop. Install 1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R242713.exe. 2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R242713. Write down this path so the executable (I.e. Setup.exe) file can be found later. 3.The Self-Extractor window appears. 4.Click OK. 5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor window is still open, close it. 6.Click the Start button and then click Run. 7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R242713 in the Open textbox and then click OK. 8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.
sudipto_dutta
sudipto_dutta