Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

My toshiba satellite laptop backlight stopped working. Is there

an easy way to fix...
My toshiba satellite laptop backlight stopped working. Is there an easy way to fix it?
7/25/2012
Hans Uebelhoer
Hans Uebelhoer, Computer Support Specialist

huebelhoer :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

huebelhoer :

Please let me know once you are ready

Customer: I'm ready
huebelhoer :

Hi, unfortunately there is no easy way to fix this, the screen will likely need to be replaced. But first we need to test a few things

huebelhoer :

Have you tried to plug the laptop into an external monitor?

huebelhoer :

If it works on an external monitor we can rule out video card issues

Customer: No, but if I use a flashlight against the screen I can see the screen
huebelhoer :

Do you have an external monitor that you can plug into it?

Customer: Not at home. but I'm 100% sure it would work. I can read the screen with the flashlight.
huebelhoer :

Ok, I am really sure it will work 2 but I just wanted to make sure if you did have a monitor. How long have you owned the Laptop?>

Customer: 5 years
huebelhoer :

OK, when it comes to the back light on these screens, its not something that is fixable the screen itself will need to be replaced. The screens go for about 175$ or possibly a little less.

huebelhoer :

I can get you in contact with someone to get the screen if that is what you wish

huebelhoer :

Have you ever taken a laptop apart before?

Customer: Never
huebelhoer :

Ok, so there is a small possibility that the wires that come out of the back of the screen and connect into the video card have gone bad. Either way this will require someone to disassemble the laptop, first check those wires, and secondly if that is not the issue the screen will neeed to be replaced.

huebelhoer :

Either fix, will really require a Laptop technician.

Customer: Look for a small metal or plastic pin near one of the screen hinges. The screen pushes this pin in when it is closed, so if the pin is stuck in the screen closed position, the backlight will remain off.Read more: How to Fix a Toshiba Laptop Screen That Won't Come On | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7189709_fix-laptop-screen-won_t-come.html#ixzz21bBUuMiG
huebelhoer :

Is this something that you woudl like to have done? If so I can find a local shop near you

Customer: This s what I found on a toshiba laptop forum
Customer: But I hab
Customer: But I haven't found the metal or plastic pin...
huebelhoer :

I am not sure if your model has that . Usually they are internal now.

huebelhoer :

what is your model number

Customer: P200
huebelhoer :

Ok, you can actually have the LCD Bulb replaced. Since you do not see a back-light on that means your invert-er is likely still good. So you wont have to have your whole screen replaces with will be much cheaper. But before you do that, please open and close the screen like 10 times to see if it is the internal switch you may be able to tell.

huebelhoer :

tell me is you see any flashes of light or anything similar

Customer: Ok. After I close and open the screen the first time, the screen went almost back to normal: I could read the screen without any problem. The second time I did that the laptop went black and I turned it off by mistake. I'm rebooting it now
huebelhoer :

OK let me know

huebelhoer :

Also try turning off the laptop, and then open the lid half way, then turn on the laptop, tell me if that does anything.

Customer: Oh well. I could see the flashes but nothing else. Backlight still off...
huebelhoer :

OK this tells me its the cable.

Customer: Let me check
huebelhoer :

The cable wares down over time

huebelhoer :

On the left hand side of the screen under the keyboard is where the Cable comes from the screen, Over time of opening and closing the lid these cables ware out

huebelhoer :

But that means its a pretty cheap fix

Customer: Where can I buy a new cable?
huebelhoer :

So you dont actually have to purchase any Parts, You will just need to have the cable replaced.

huebelhoer :

You will have to have a shop do it

huebelhoer :

Would you like me to find one for you

huebelhoer :

Please provide me your zip code I can recommend a shop

Customer: 14226
Customer: I would like a shop an
Customer: And a place to buy the cable just in case I feel like replacing it myself
huebelhoer :

The cable is actually soldered to the motherboard so it will need to be removed, replaced, and re soldered.

Customer: Ouch
huebelhoer :

Yeah its not just a plug

huebelhoer :

sorry

huebelhoer :

I will find you both

huebelhoer :

once moment

huebelhoer :

YOu live in Buffalo, I am from Buffalo. HAHA

huebelhoer :

I live in Rochester now but grew up in Alden NY

huebelhoer :

Here is a local Mom and Pop shop. They will be able to sell you just the cable if you want to do it yourself. Or they can fix it for you

huebelhoer :

W Ny Computer Center Inc

huebelhoer :

PO Box 499

Buffalo, NY 14226

(716)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/div>

huebelhoer :

wnycomputerpro.com

Customer: That,
Customer: 's awesome. I live in Snyder
Customer: Thanks for the help
huebelhoer :

Your very welcome. If you need anything else let me know. Before you go please remember to rate my services. Have a great night it was nice working with you

Hans Uebelhoer
Hello Gui,

I have switched over to Q and A mode so that I can send this info to your email. Also if you need any more help you can get back to me by following this link sent to your email.

W Ny Computer Center Inc
PO Box 499
Buffalo, NY 14226 (NNN) NNN-NNNN
wnycomputerpro.com‎

Please remember to give my services a Rating otherwise I will not be compensated for my time. If you are not satisfied with my service please let me know and I will do what ever I can to fix that. Have a great night

Regards
Hans U
Hans Uebelhoer
Hans Uebelhoer