Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

Wireless keyboard and mouse won't connect to PC

7/21/2012
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
lexx3218 :

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to justanswer.com

lexx3218 :

Have you by chance pushed the connect button on the USB device that connects to the back of it for the keyboard and mouse?

Have you tried pushing the connect button on the USB device for the mouse and keyboard?
There is no USB device that connects to the PC for the wireless keyboard/mouse. It is supposedly built in.

I don't see any connect button on the keyboard. The mouse only has an on/off switch

Let me have a look give me just a second also check to see if there is a connect button for the mouse and the keyboard.
Check the back of it see if there is a black USB device it might look like a memory stick.
Nothing on the back but the battery compartment
OK did you push the connect button on the keyboard and mouse also on the back may I have the entire model number please?

I don't see a connect button on either device. The mouse has an on/off switch, the keyboard has nothing. PC is gateway ZX4971-UR30P, Keyboard has a bunch of different numbers on back. One is CCAF10LP1200T4, another is on the bar code, KBRF40B083152006900100. I think its an acer kb (they must have combined with gateway). The mouse is P/N MS.11200.084, SN:(###) ###-####/span>

Ok put the mouse while the computer is turned on in the off position then turn it back to the on position.
OK done. Still doesn't work
Ok try restarting the machine also if you don't mind did the machines keyboard and mouse ever work?
No, it has never worked. I just opened the box yesterday. First start up of windows, etc. I have tried mulitple restarts. I even looked in the bios but didn't see any settings dealing with wireless keyboard/mouse. I have a keyboard/mouse from an old computer plugged into it now so I can type.

That's not good this means either they did not give you the reciever that is supposed to come with it or in this case which I doubt because there is always a reciever. The only time it's built in is if the keyboard and mouse is bluetooth. So either they did not supply you with the micro USB reciever or the keyboard and mouse is bad. This is what you will need to do. You will need to let gateway know this but it looks like you should have a USB reciever that plugs into the back of this machine for the mouse and keyboard if not that's why it's not functioning.

so maybe they are bluetooth, how would I check, and how would I fix the problem

I don't believe it's bluetooth because I don't see it listed in the specifications for it. http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/DO.GCJAA.001

That is the link to your machine.

This is still covered under warrenty you need to tell gateway what you told me and tell them your mouse and keyboard did not come with the USB reciever for it, also check the box again very well and make sure you didn't over see it. If you don't see it then you are infact missing something. Please let me know if you have any other questions for me. If you need more information tell me please.

My name is ***** ***** and I want to thank you for using justanswer.com to help you find a solution to the issue you are having. Please remember to click ACCEPT because that is the ONLY way I am compensated for helping you. A bonus, and positive feedback, is greatly appreciated as well. Thank you!

Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
OK, I found the wireless receiver (at least for the mouse). It was under the battery lid. I didn't know it was removable. However it still doesn't work after I plugged it into a USB port. Ok just tried another USB port and the wireless mouse and keyboard work perfectly. OMG they made it so difficult. I wasted hours. There was no manual with PC, and the online generic manual was worthless. They could have at least attached some directions. Thanks for your help. My problem is fixed.
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast