Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

Compaq Presario CQ40 laptop screen keeps blinking on and off and its running slow. What can be the problem?

Customer Question
My laptop screen keeps blinking...

My laptop screen keeps blinking on and off and its running slow, sometimes has trouble getting on internet.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Laptop
6/1/2012
Laptop technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

What exactly is the make and model of your laptop? (Like Lenovo G460)
What Operating System is installed there: Windows XP, Vista or 7?

It’s a Compaq Presario cq40 with I think vista.

Regarding the blinking screen, the very first cause of this is a hardware fault. The cable connection in the hinge of the laptop where the screen is attached (this is the case to any laptop) could be loose or faulty. Please try to keep the laptop in a steady position and tilt the lid or screen to an angle that does not turn the screen on and off.

Also, you can test if this is purely a hardware issue or a software glitch. Boot the computer into Safe Mode then see if the screen is still turning on and off intermittently.

1. Turn ON your computer or restart
  2. Immediately tap the F8 key and keep tapping it until you see the Advanced Boot Menu options
  3. Navigate using the arrow keys and choose Safe Mode
  4. Press ENTER to choose Safe Mode
  5. Press ENTER again to confirm

When you are in Safe Mode, test if the screen is working fine or if it is still turning on and off.

Regarding the computer being slow, please boot the computer normally (no pressing of F8). Then do the following cleanup procedures:

Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

After the cleanup, please test if the computer is working faster this time. If you want to computer to boot faster, please disable the startup items and services.

To disable some programs at startup, please do the following:

1. Click on Start => RUN
  2. You can also get the RUN box by going to Start => All Programs => Accessories => RUN or by simply pressing the Windows Logo key and pressing the letter R (Win Logo + R)
  3. In the RUN box, type this command and click OK: msconfig
  4. You shall see then the System Configuration dialog window
  5. Click on the SERVICES tab
  6. Click to select the option "Hide Microsoft services"
  7. Then click DISABLE ALL button
  8. Then click the STARTUP tab
  9. Then click on DISABLE ALL button
  10. This should disable all listed startup programs at startup so all the checks there should disappear. However, please locate your Antivirus software there and click on it to restore the check mark.
  11. Then click APPLY
  12. Click OK to close the System Configuration window
  13. Restart your computer.
  14. When you are prompted with a pop up window regarding the changes you made with the System Configuration Utility, please cancel it or close it.
  15. Then test if the system is now gaining some speed

I hope that helped. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist