Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

Can you tell me how to download cd's on my laptop?

2/20/2012
Frederick S
Frederick S, Computer Specialist
Hi

Happy to help

Can you please clarify what types of CDs you're wanting transferred to your laptop? Music? Data? Movies?

FS
Foreign language cd's
OK

Please tell me -- what version of Windows are you using - XP, Vista, or Windows 7?

FS
Can you tell me how to find the answer to what version?
Please go to http://supportdetails.com/

It will tell you under Operating System

Are these programs, like Rosetta Stone? Or are they just audio files of languages?

FS
Windows 7 - The CD's are the audio companion from Rosetta Stone. I already have the Language Learning Software loaded in my laptop.
OK

Thanks for clarifying

First, let's see if you're able to view the audio files

Please go to Start menu --> Computer

Do you see the drive listed there?

If so, double-click on the drive with your Rosetta Stone audio companion CDs

Do you see a list of songs?

If so, double-click on any track, as a test, and see if it plays. Let me know if that works, then I can give you the steps on how to copy the files.

FS
I'm a bit confused....the audio companion cd's have not been loaded onto my laptop...this is what I am trying to do...I'm not at all tech savvy so bear with me!
they are not "loaded" on your laptop

I had just asked you to insert the CD into your computer and double-click on the drive and try to play a track, any track, within that CD

You're fine; no worries.

Can you let me know if you're able to do that?

FS
Ah yes....I was able to play it.
OK, so do you still want to actually copy them onto your computer, or are you okay with just playing them from there?

FS
i would like to copy them onto my computer so that then I can put them on my iPhone.
OK, great!

Now, here's how.

Please go back to Start menu --> Computer

RIGHT-click on the drive, and select Copy

Once you've done that, please let me know and I will give you the next step.

FS
ok done
OK great

Now, we are going to place it in Music...

So go to Start menu --> Computer --> Music

You can create a new folder for it, if you like, by clicking New folder on top then naming it

Then open that folder...

Then right-click anywhere in the empty white space and select Paste

Let me know if the audio files start copying over.

FS
They copied over! But can't seem to play them.
What happens when you click on any of the files? Any particular error? (Sounds like you may have just seen shortcuts instead of the actual files... We can fix that, though.)

FS
I removed the cd and clicked on a track, but it's not playing
OK

Thanks.

Now, what I want you to do is try to rip the tracks through Windows Media Player.

Here are the steps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/windows-media-player/11/rip-a-cd

Let me know if you're able to rip the tracks.

FS

Hi Frederick,

I need to go on a conference call at 10:30 to 11:30. Can we continue the help session at 11:30?

PJ

Sure!
Here is how to get back to me.
The link should be automatically e-mailed to you each time I reply. You should have a few e-mails from me since the start of this discussion which will take you right back to this discussion. You may also go to JustAnswer.com (or eAnswer.com, depending on which site you came in on) and select My Questions in the top right to return to the question. You may also press Ctrl+D to bookmark this page.
Hi Frederick I'm Back...I tried to "Rip" but unsuccessful.
Any error code? Something like 0x08000000?
FS
I go to Start then Windows Media player...double click and nothing happens.
It's not hiding under another window?

You don't see it on the bot***** *****sted as an open program?

FS
Dah, PJ. Yes Ok Media player was minimized on the bottom. Now when I press the play button nothing happens.
Were you able to rip the audio files? Or no?
And when you hit play -- were some files already listed in Windows Media Player that you hadn't yet ripped/added that were the names of those tracks?
Or are you trying to play directly from the CD? (That wouldn't make sense.)
FS

No I was unable to "rip" - I did not see a Rip Tab.

Question:

How is ripping different from:

Start Menu > Computer>Music>New Folder> right click Paste?

Is ripping done after you download the audio cd onto the laptop?

I told you I was "green"!

PJ

Hi PJ
It is different because if the CDs are encoded as audio discs (and I suspect they are) you basically, unfortunately, were only able to copy the shortcuts to the files and not the files themselves. It's the default behavior of any audio CD.
No, the "Rip" tab should appear once you insert the CD
Can you remove the CD with Windows Media Player (WMP) open, then insert it, and see if "Rip" comes up?
FS
I removed the CD with WMP open , I reinserted and No Rip>
OK

Let's try another program to rip those files

Please click FREE DOWNLOAD on the left side: http://www.freerip.com/download.php

Then run the installer... pick Custom and uncheck the boxes to install the toolbars, etc...

Once you have the program up, let me know.

FS
FreeRip is up
OK; go to File --> Refresh CD

Does it recognize the CD? Are tracks shown?

FS
tracks are shown.
Great! I see the light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Are all of the tracks checked to be ripped?

If so, then click the icon with a play button on it with a CD behind it

That should rip them - let me know if that's successful.

FS
Frederick S
Frederick S, Computer Specialist
Frederick S
Frederick S
Frederick S, Computer Specialist