Laptop

Laptop Questions? Ask a Laptop Technician for Answers ASAP!

Laptop

How do I fix error code: 0x80070131 on Windows 7 restore -

Customer Question
"Short names are XXXXX XXXXX...
How do I fix error code: 0x80070131 on Windows 7 restore - "Short names are XXXXX XXXXX on this volume".
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Laptop
1/13/2012
Laptop technician: ITTechChris, Technician replied 5 years ago
ITTechChris
ITTechChris, Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm an certified expert here to assist you with your question.

1. turn off the computer.

2. turn on the computer and constantly tap down on the 'F8' button until a black screen with white letters appear.

3. Select 'Safe mode' with your arrows keys and press enter.

4. Wait for the screen to load (this may take up to 5 minutes)

5. Select the 'Administrator account.

6. A icon will appear when it loads, press 'Yes'.

7. Left click on the 'Start' button

8. on 'Search Programs and Files' type in 'System restore'.

9. Select 'System Restore'.

10. follow the steps and restore the computer to the time before the inncodent took place'

11. Wait for the computer to restore and restart (this will happen by itself once you have followed the steps.

12. When the computer restarts to the log in screen, see if your problem is fixed.

Hope this helps my friend. If you are satisfied with my services, please press the Accept Button as that is the only way that I can get paid for my time.

Even after you Accept,the question is not closed and I am still available for follow ups if you still have additional questions. Positive Feedback and Bonus's are always highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

The problem is not the operating system itself, it is a problem with restoring data files (documents, primarily) that were backed up to an external drive using Win 7 backup program. When I try to restore the documents, most fail to be restored because of the error (code: 0x80070131) with the message, "Short names are not enabled on this volume". As far as I can tell, the operating system is working fine otherwise, and I had no error messages when I backed the files up with the Win 7 backup program. I only get error messages when I try to restore the backed up files. I recovered a few (maybe 1/3), but many of the files are not recovered due to this error.

You are trying to restore a computer from a external harddrive, correct?

Yes.

Ok. The only problem with that is the actuall Operating System is not safed into the external if you copy the harddrive unto the external. It's the files from within the computer, that's why your getting those errors.

Go into safe mode and try to retreive the documents.

1. Shut off your computer

2. Turn on the computer and press the F8 button until a black screen with white letters appear.

3. Select Safe Mode and press Enter.

4. Wait for Safe Mode to load up then select a Administrator account.

5. Attempt to retreive the data once logged in.

6. Let me know how it goes.

Thank you.

ITTechChris
ITTechChris
ITTechChris, Technician