Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

I have a Nellie Stevens holly tree about two years old. It…

Customer Question
I have a Nellie...

I have a Nellie Stevens holly tree about two years old. It now has leaves with a brown area and a black margin what is this and how do I cure it?

Contractor's Assistant: What kind of climate are you in?

Region 7 Central Virginia, base of the Blue ridge mountains

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, is it a fungus

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landscaping
3/28/2018
Landscaper: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 2 months ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Landscaper: Daniel Stover,
 replied 2 months ago
Daniel Stover
Hello my name is***** and I will be the professional helping you today. I have over 20 years of horticulture experience and currently am the head super intendent at a high end private golf course in Florida.Normally holly bushes are extremely hardy. Up in northern Maine we did have some winter desication bit thats about it. This sounds like disease. I would find thiophanate methyl either on amazon or possibly a lesco store if you have one close. Thiophanate is a broad spectrum systemic fungicide that will cure almost anything. The label will tell you how much to use for the size holly you have. Along with that I would apply a fully organic fertilizer around the base of the tree. Dr. Earth 715 is a reasonably priced but quality product.Lastly next year I would make sure your holly is properly pruned. Air movement through the tree is key.Hope this helps!
Daniel Stover
Daniel Stover
Daniel Stover