Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

I have Korean boxwood plants that are plenty hardy but

Customer Question
I have Korean boxwood...

I have Korean boxwood plants that are plenty hardy but orange colored summer and winter. Can I use iron to make them turn green?

Contractor's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Expert can help you best.

Just as I wrote, my Korean boxwood plants, big and hardy but always orange colored. I have thought many times to tear them out; I hate the color. Would giving them iron help?

Contractor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

I live in Central Oregon--wintger temperatures go down to 15 degrees F for a few days each winter. I often use green tents to try to protect the snow from lying on the boxwood to prevent the orange. No luck.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Landscaping
3/26/2018
Landscaper: Gina-Moderator, Moderator replied 27 days ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Gina, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Gina~Moderator
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Of course I want to continue. I need an answer about the iron supplement helpful or not to changing the color of my Korean boxwood from orange to green.
Irene
Landscaper: Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector replied 27 days ago
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your boxwood. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. I understand your question to be" I need an answer about the iron supplement helpful or not to changing the color of my Korean boxwood from orange to green. ?" So to answer;

I was recently talking to my father, who is a master gardener, and also has boxwoods, about the yellowing, as I was helping him with some yard work. He said that their can be a lot of causes, but in his case he needs to move them to a shadier area. He said it was the winter conditions affecting his. So I saw your question and called him, as he lives in southern Oregon. Here is what he had to say about it. Iron will not help the yellowing of the leaves, as this is not a solution to the actual problem, which in boxwoods, can be many different things. They’re plagued with a number of problems that can result in brown or yellowing boxwood shrubs. These boxwood problems range in trouble from very easy to cure to extremely damaging. Although boxwoods can be beautiful barriers when they’re healthy, they’ll need your help to deal with whatever is ailing them.
Here are some common causes of a boxwood turning yellow or brown: Winter Damage. If you live in a place that experiences freezing temperatures in the winter, your boxwood may have been damaged by excessive snow, ice and cold – or even winter burn. The cold-nipped tissues can take many months to become obvious, so if the yellow leaves are appearing in the spring, try not to panic unless they continue to spread. Feed and water your bushes like normal to help them recover. Root Rot. Sometimes, the root systems of boxwood shrubs get infected with fungal pathogens like Phytophthora. When root rot becomes serious, it’ll manifest as yellowing leaves that curl inward and turn up, and the plant will grow poorly. Really serious root rot may move into the crown, discoloring the wood near the plant’s base. Treating root rot is all about increasing the drainage around the plant’s roots, so if it’s potted, make sure to reduce watering frequency. A landscape boxwood may have to be dug and the soil around it amended to give it a fighting chance. Unfortunately, there’s no chemical intervention available for root rot. Nematodes. The tiny roundworms known as nematodes are no strangers to boxwoods. These microscopic pests feed from plant roots, causing symptoms of general decline. Plants will yellow and wilt or even die back if root damage is extensive. You can prolong the life of these infected plants by providing plenty of water and feeding them regularly, but they will eventually succumb to nematodes. When they do, consider replacing them with nematode-resistant American boxwoods, yaupon holly or Buford holly. Macrophoma Leaf Spot. This common fungus looks alarming when a gardener first notices it, with the yellow or tan-color leaves sporting black fungal fruiting bodies. Fortunately, even though it looks horrible, it’s nothing to worry about. If your plant is completely covered in those black fruiting bodies, consider treating it with neem oil; otherwise, the disease will clear on its own. Volutella Blight. When large portions of your boxwood’s new growth is turning from red to yellow at the beginning of the growing season, with salmon fruiting bodies following, you’ve got a bigger problem on your hands – closer inspection may reveal that your plants have loose bark and girdling on affected branches. Volutella blight can be difficult to control, but remember that the goal is to decrease favorable conditions for fungal growth. Trimming the boxwood by up to 1/3 will help reduce the interior humidity and remove the infected branches, which are sources of fungal spores. Make sure to remove as much of the dead growth as possible before you begin a spray program. In the early spring, before new growth has started, spray your boxwood with a copper fungicide and continue to spray according to package directions until the new growth has hardened. You may need to spray again in the late summer or fall if your boxwood adds extra growth during particularly rainy periods.“Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star. It has been my pleasure to assist you! Thank you for posting your question. – Your business is very valuable to us.- J Baker

W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist