Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

I have a Shirotae Cherry Blossom Tree that is having a

problem. I need to know...
I have a Shirotae Cherry Blossom Tree that is having a problem. I need to know if I can save it. I have pictures but don't see where to post them.
3/24/2018
Daniel Stover

Hello my name is***** and I will be the professional helping you today. I have over 20 years of horticulture experience and I am currently the head superintendent at a high end private golf club in south Florida.

Bare with me as I review your pictures.

This is one of two things, its either just simply frost damage or canker. With simple frost damage the tree will cure itself. Canker is caused from frost but will need the help of a fungicide.

I would apply a thiophanate methyl around the base of the tree. This can be purposed through amazon or other online vendors. On the label it will give you specific instructions on application rates for the size of tree you have. You will need to mix the needed amount in a gallon or two of water and dump it around the tree. The tree will then take up the fungicide systemically and cure the disease.

Along with that I would also apply a fully organic fungicide around the base of the tree once a year every springtime. Dr. Earths 715 Super Natural is a good one and is available on amazon.

If you get on top of the problem quickly I would not be overly concerned about it. Hope this helps!

purchased through amazon** sorry for the typo

I'll be super happy if it recovers. I checked out amazon and there are a ton of the thiophanate methyl products. Any ideas on which would be the best?

clearys 3336 is the name brand but THIOMYL from southern ag works well and is much cheaper

Daniel Stover
Great! Thank you Daniel!

no problem

come back anytime