Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

I'm considering planting an asparagus bed. I live in Denver,

I'm considering planting an asparagus...
I'm considering planting an asparagus bed. I live in Denver, Colorado and would like advice as to if this is a good idea and what are the challenges of growing asparagus in a semi-arid climate?
3/21/2018
Daniel Stover
Hello my name is***** and I will be the professional helping you today. Along with 20 years of horticulture experience I am the head superintendent at a high end golf club in south florida.Bare with me as i review your question
You may be in luck. Asparagus do not like to be kept in wet soil so being an an arid climate can be to your advantage as long as you have a good soil and are able to keep some moisture in the soil for plant health.Dig trenches of about 6 inches wide and 6 to 12 inches deep.
Create a mound in the trench and plant the crowns 15 to 18 inches apart, spreading the roots over the ridge. Cover the roots and crowns with soil 2 inches deep and water thoroughly. As the stems grow, fill in the rest of the trench with soil, leaving 3 to 4 inches of the stem exposed. When the trench is filled, add a 4 to 8 inch layer of mulch and water regularly. Do not harvest the spears in the first year, but cut down dead foliage in late fall and side-dress with compost and or a fully organic fertilizer. During the second year, keep the bed thickly mulched, side-dress in spring and early fall, and cut down dead foliage in late fall.
Is this a good time of year to start the bed and should it be full sunshine, part sunshine?
Early spring as soon as the ground thaws. Full sun will give you the best crop. If you have to then partial shade can work too
Daniel Stover
No call necessary, this is helpful. Thank you.