Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

How can I repair a severely damaged ornamental pear tree?

How can I repair...

Contractor's Assistant: What kind of climate are you in?

Massachusetts

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Most of the tree broke off in the wind, only one branch remaining

3/18/2018
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Should have said one main branch that is well connected to the trunk, smaller branch underneath. The tree is super healthy and hardy, grows fast. It was a Home Depot tree raised in Canada so it keeps green leaves into December and when it blooms usually April, the leaves come out with the flowers and take over quickly. It is probably close to 20 years old, still has some lifespan left. It was about 25 - 30 feet tall, remaining branch height is about 20 feet. There are so many problems going on with the damage I am not sure what to do first. The trunk is solidly rooted, the tree had already grown a major anchor root because of the wind in that location, just couldn't withstand the twisting and slamming of the last three storms. It has plenty of water at all times, it is a location with water and good drainage. There is a huge vertical split near the center of the trunk you can see in the photo. How much do I remove? Should I attempt grafting or patching? Should I bind the trunk or anchor the the main branch? Should I prune the remaining branches?
Daniel Stover
Hello my name is***** and I will be the professional helping you today. I have over 20 years of horticulture experience and currently am the head superintendent at a high end country club.Bare with me as i review your question.
I am afraid grafting is the only way to save this tree. Because of the split you will have to cut below that. If you were to try and keep any material above the split then disease would take hold quite quickly.I would cut the tree now and attempt a graft in early spring. Its possible the tree would send out new shoots on its own but grafting will give it thr best chance.I would also apply an organic fertilizer around the base for additional support.Let me know if you want to attempt a graft and i will go into detail.
please give me the sequence, timing, and placement of what needs to be done to repair graft this tree. Just need the steps in the procedure since I've never done this before. I can Google specific details.
Cut the tree below the split. Make a small cut in the bark of the rootstock with a grafting knife and check how easily it separates from the tree. Water the tree and try again in two to three days if the bark does not separate easily. At the point where you cut the tree make veritcal downward slits in the bark where the small branches you are using to graft will be inserted. Make two cuts about 1 inch apart and 2 inches long to form a bark flap. Cut flaps around the trunk about every 3 or 4 inches. Cut branches from shoots of the desired variety that grew the previous year. Look for healthy wood without any type of damage. Cut the branches into pieces 5 to 6 inches long with at least 3 buds per piece.
At the base of each scion piece cut a 1 1/2- to 2-inch wedge on one side only. Make the cut smooth and even, with one stroke of the knife. Insert the branches into the bark flaps so the wedge shaped cut is against the wood under the flap. Press the scion firmly into place under the flap, smooth the flap back into place and nail it with one or two wire brads through the center of the flap, through the scion and into the wood. Seal the exposed surface with grafting wax or grafting paint. Once the grafts start to grow, leave only the most vigorous one. Prune out all the others. Bark grafts tend to form weak unions, so support the new growth with a stake for the first few years.The cut of the tree can be done soon and the grafting portion should be done in early spring.Hope this helps!
Daniel Stover
Just to be clear, are you saying I should cut the tree below the split so that a stump remains? Or am I cutting the split parts off the tree and leaving the branches as is?
Anyway, it is good advice even if it is not what I wanted to hear. A stump with twelve hopeful scions.

Yes cut the tree below the split so that the trunk remains. The current branches on the pear tree are not able to be saved.

Good luck!