Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

Can you tell me what kind of grass my neighbors have? It’s…

Hi again! Can you tell...
Hi again! Can you tell me what kind of grass my neighbors have? It’s stays this green and nice all year long. HOT August temps all the way through snow! Green and fluffy! I’m thinking of just having a company pull up all Bermuda and laying down sod like my neighbors grass. We live in VA.
3/17/2018
Daniel Stover
Its overseeded in the winter months with perenial ryegrass. The rye grass dies off once the tempuratures get to 85-90. You just wont notice because the bermuda underneith has greened up.Let me know if you would like some overseeding advice. Next fall would be the time to do it.
You’re saying my neighbor across the street have Bermuda? That is not Bermuda in the picture. I think you’re talking about my grass. I’m asking what kind of grass my neighbor has across the street in that pic. That’s not a mix of anything. It’s all one type. As to can see in the pic, it’s lush and all green. Zero Bermuda.
Let me explain a bit further. The process is called overseeding. Bermuda grass goes dormant in the winter (like your lawn currently) so in order to keep a green lawn you seed over the bermuda for the winter months so you see no brown bermuda.In virginia a good time to do this is mid to late october. At this time the bermuda is still green but starting to harden off for winter. You then lay perenially ryegrass seed over the entire lawn which is a northern grass that likes cooler tempuratures. The stand of new grass seed pops in about 10-14 days. Once it emerges it will grow past the bermuda and you wont even notice the bermuda browning beneith. This ryegrass will stay lush green all winter long until the tempuratures get warm again. At this time the bermuda then begins to green back up. Its a seamless transition.Depending on how heavy you go at with ryegrass seed you could get on all fours and look very close and still not see the brown bermuda beneith the ryegrass. At my golf course in savannah ga we did this yearly on our 120acre property for a pga tour tournament on tv. Its a very easy grass to maintain and holds stripping from a mower extremely well. In april the Masters (Augusta GA) will be on tv. They also do the same process of overseeding for the winter. They have bermuda but overseed for the winter months.Let ke know if youre interested and I will go more into detail.
Daniel Stover
I got ya. Great to know. I was going to have someone pull it all up and lay down another kind but I’ll try this in October. Thanks so much.